• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Assume an ad agency has come to you for alternative names to brand semi auto rifles to suck the air out of the liberal big nasty black weapons of wholesale manslaughter term Assault Rifle. Think long and hard, what is a catchy term that could eclipse Assault Rifle?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The NSSF and others in the industry are pushing the term "MSR" or "Modern Sporting Rifle".

I say that "sport" has very little to do with it, but to each their own...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sport Utility Rifle

;)

This one first made the rounds back a few years ago; heck, Kel-Tec even gave that name to their .223 rifle line.

Of all of the alternatives to "assault rifle" that have been bandied about, I think this one comes the closest to describing the actual use of the firearm without sounding too pretentious or downright silly.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This one first made the rounds back a few years ago; heck, Kel-Tec even gave that name to their .223 rifle line.

Of all of the alternatives to "assault rifle" that have been bandied about, I think this one comes the closest to describing the actual use of the firearm without sounding too pretentious or downright silly.
    Yup!!
    Several Forums that I belong to were using it.
    Of course someone had to point out that like SUV's, SUR's often get poor "milage" :)

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    It's a sur ..., sir.

Al Pacino, "say hello to my little sur!" Doesn't really sound the same.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Take a step back to the late 60's and early 70's and call them the Mighty Mattel. :): I actually had one of the 'toys' as my issue rifle in Basic Training.

Since the early 70's everyone had the M-16 or subsequent variant in basic training...unless you are implying you had an M-16 made by Mattel in which case I will have to call shenanigans, Mattel was never a contractor for the M-16 and never made the gun or any parts of the gun. That is pure urban myth.

The term semi-auto sporting rifle works well.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really don't care what you call it. If it's black and has an extended magazine, the anti's are going to deem it "assault rifle", AK, or the most feared gun term "Glock" :nailbite:. I nearly pooped my pants in the shear fear of such a weapon system.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Since the early 70's everyone had the M-16 or subsequent variant in basic training...unless you are implying you had an M-16 made by Mattel in which case I will have to call shenanigans, Mattel was never a contractor for the M-16 and never made the gun or any parts of the gun. That is pure urban myth.

The term semi-auto sporting rifle works well.

No, just that the one I had issued what one of those old POS's that earned the name. :):

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I call her Vera....

But if it HAS to be an acronym, how about..

Shooting Apparatus For Entertainment?

and for California, Illinois, and New York:

Shooting Apparatus For Entertaining Rednecks

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Homeland defense weapon is perfect. How many people realize that Mr. Kalashnikov designed his fabled Automatic Kalashnikov as a homeland defense weapon. That was what he called it.

If this country was so intent on so-called "homeland defense" and the founders realize that we the people were the true defense of this country, then they would give us back our constitutional right to own the rifle that was originally designed as a true homeland defense weapon.

How about CPT for Constitutionally Protected Tool?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Ultra Super Unstoppable Mass Death Machines!

What? I thought the purpose was to suck the life out of "Assault Weapon". Do you really think that was possible without making it more scary? Besides USUMDM! is kind of catchy.

Top Bottom