• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    DONT skimp on the screwdrivers though. the magnatips are a must. i have used the cheaper wheeler stuff and dont trust it. with that stuff its only a matter of time until you slip off a screw and make a scratch.

i order approximatly 3-500 dollars a month of stuff from brownells. the tools are chump change.

I even had an order so large once that the CEO himself wrote me a handwritten letter thanking me for being such a good customer.

sometimes its worth knowing you are paying a little extra, to free up the time so you dont have to bargain shop. i dont make money while i am tooling around on the internet.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    plus brownells.....you don't have to spend time hunting all over...chances are everything you'll need is right there....if you ca find it.....there website directory organization could use some work...but still a good place to get what you need if you don't mind spending the money

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Everything above plus a good, or a variety of good, magnifying glasses. You might be surprised how much different a sear nose looks at +30 magnification.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Everything above plus a good, or a variety of good, magnifying glasses. You might be surprised how much different a sear nose looks at +30 magnification.

I disagree. I have used all the magnifying setups and find that i am able to do better work, and even see better w/out ANY magnification. we are talking about required tools here, not luxery items. one can absolutely be a competant gunsmith w/out using magnification.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I disagree. I have used all the magnifying setups and find that i am able to do better work, and even see better w/out ANY magnification. we are talking about required tools here, not luxery items. one can absolutely be a competant gunsmith w/out using magnification.

Yeah, thats what I'm saying. I should actually limit my question to gun building tools initially. Also the priority is to gain expertise with the basic tools. I'm sure that I can use magnification devices when an if I need them. All of your inputs are greatly appreciated though.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    i recomend you buy tools as needed. there are so many speciality tools you would spend a fortune buying them all at once.

couple basics

good screw driver kit
    brass hammer
    regular and roll pin punches
    torque srew driver
    good set of honing stones

I'd go a little further on that and specify gunsmithing screwdrivers... I finally got a set, and it made a world of difference on not messing up screwheads, and the driver staying in place. Now looking to upgrade the cheap gunsmithing screwdriver set to a better quality one.

Also, as other have mentioned, vise and VISE JAW COVERS.... No idea how many "oops' " I've had from not having a good set...

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm building a 1911. I started out buying off of a list I compiled while looking through the various books on the 1911 and browsing the forums online. After about $1000 in tools I got the Wilson Combat videos on building a 1911. Turns out I really didn't need most of that stuff. I don't mind having it all, and will eventually get everything on the list, mostly because one can never have too many tools. Still, the guys at Wilson do it with a lot less.

Since the 1911 is a ways down your list, you'll probably have most of what you need by the time you get there.

As to magnification, let your eyes be the determining factor. Some folks see better than others. I need magnification for the fine work. You may not.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I recommend fixing the software first before buying anymore tools. You can do most anything you NEED to do to an AR or a glock with simple tools and a comic book, but actually working the metal requires training and rehearsal. If you are truly considering smithing as a career change, attend one of the trade schools or apprentice to a master. The books and videos are great for reference, but if you haven't received the proper training, you may as well take Kirk's approach (hammers) but add a dremel.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    we are talking about required tools here, not luxery items. .

I am not a gunsmith by trade, but have done quite a bit of work on my own guns. As far as tools go, this is a luxury item....
    IMG_0628.jpg

These are not.
    IMG_0629.jpg

The one on the right will set you back about as much as a store bought cup of coffee and the one on the left is a lens out of an old junk scope, and BTW, works very well for fine detail.

15 years ago when I could have counted the freckles on a gnats a$$ I wouldn't have given a thought to magnification. Funny how things change.

Top Bottom