• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    Just wanted to pass this along for those in the Lafayette area.

I stopped in Haley's recently to get a key programmed for my daughter's car, and had to wait 15-20 minutes for their programming tool to do its thing.

While waiting, I picked up a nice M44. I was pleasantly surprised when they took my C&R with no fuss at all.

Joe

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    OK I'll bite....why would you not expect them to take your C&R? I'm not very familiar with the curio license. I assume it gets you out of a background check?

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    After reading posts where people have been denied and told a 4473 was required, I wasn't sure what to expect. I know they're supposed to accept it, but store policy seems to vary.

Correct, no form 4473/background check. I got their FFL number for my book, paid and walked out.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Depends on the education and comfort level of the shop owners. Bradis made me fill out a 4473, stapled the C&R to it, and then didn't call it in. Back when Rendezvous was open, he'd take the C&R copy, give me his 01 copy, and we were done. Still others have just refused to acknowledge it and wanted to call it in anyway.

Really, the 03's best purpose for me is being able to buy C&R pieces from anywhere in the country without having to mess with a transfer.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    OK I'll bite....why would you not expect them to take your C&R? I'm not very familiar with the curio license. I assume it gets you out of a background check?
    We've had several INGO members with C&R licenses get pissy because a LGS refused to sell,them a firearm without a 4473 (or charged them a transfer fee, or didn't give them a "dealer" discount) when they walked in waiving their FFL 03.

The rule is that the dealer must have your C&R on file BEFORE you can purchase from them. This is so the dealer has the opportunity to check the authenticity of the license with the BATFE. Some dealers will let you walk in with the FFL 03 and walk out with a C&R firearm. Many want you to submit it in advance.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    The rule is that the dealer must have your C&R on file BEFORE you can purchase from them. This is so the dealer has the opportunity to check the authenticity of the license with the BATFE. Some dealers will let you walk in with the FFL 03 and walk out with a C&R firearm. Many want you to submit it in advance.

I didn't know this. Next time I stop in the other local stores, I'll offer a copy to put on file and gauge their reaction. Thanks!

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    My experience, and yours may be different, is that chain stores won't even look at your FFL03. The people working behind the counter are trained to do a 4473 for EVERY sale. The hourly employees usually aren't aware of BATFE regulation and have no authority to act outside of the procedures they are taught, even if they do know what a C&R license is.

The FFL03 is great for online C&R dealers, a LGS where the FFL01 holder works behind the counter, and facilitating out of state transactions without going through an FFL01 transfer. Don't even try it at Cabelas, Dicks, Dunham's, ect.......

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The rule is that the dealer must have your C&R on file BEFORE you can purchase from them. This is so the dealer has the opportunity to check the authenticity of the license with the BATFE.

As Wikipedia always says, "Citation required". I know this is the policy of a lot of dealers online because they want to have the name/address in their database as to make sales faster for them. They don't want to hold a gun while they wait for some fax to come in.

Also, how does a dealer check a C&R license? Perhaps FFL01 holders have some back channel comm link with the BATFE that no one else hase? Or a better question does one cruffler verify another cruffler?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Because this is for guns over 50 years old (or special stuff listed in the manual) many will not mess with it unless they can make sure that the rifle/shotgun/PISTOL fits into the regulations. (many gun store employee's can't tell you what year say a marlin 39a was made but I can)

Many old 22 were not marked with serial numbers to the year of make prior to 1968. So untill 2008 many would not sell them to C@R holders because the seller could not prove it was 50 years old or older. Not worth the risk of their FFL. Then again if they own the store it is their game and rules. I know at my house it is my rules so I thank that is fine.

I see a modified version of this coming in the future if background checks on all purchases are required. A collectors FFL so to speak. Given as a bone to remove the gun show loophole which is just normal face to face business transaction within the state you live. No different than selling a pig or a chainsaw.

For over 20 years I have one reciept book that lists every firearm I have ever sold face to face. (Trades also) Name DL # (Proves residance), LTCH (Pistol ony) and address with my name DL# and address also. I also ask if felon or Domestic I just ask) Never really had anyone complain much since it protect's them from me and me from them. Would not be much different than a C&R FFL book/collectors FFL BOOK. I have sold many firearms on this site and those of you who have purchased them had no problems with it. We both get one. I did this mainly because paperwork makes me feel good and to give me something to remember the transaction by. (So I can kick myself later )

Do remember that when you sign up for the C&R you are giving permission for the ATF to conduct audits of your book at any time. That might mean a visit at your home for audit without a warrant. Read the form carefully if you are thinking about it. I just ran out of money for firearms on the internet so I filled out the form and never sent it in but it is ready to go if I want a C&R. Right now I am into paying off eventhing I own. Then maybe.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Also, how does a dealer check a C&R license? Perhaps FFL01 holders have some back channel comm link with the BATFE that no one else hase? Or a better question does one cruffler verify another cruffler?
    Yeah, they do. It's real James Bond kinda stuff too. It's called, "a phone".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, they do. It's real James Bond kinda stuff too. It's called, "a phone".

That's some space age stuff...:):

But seriously, how can I use that to verify another FFL03? I know there's a web site for FFL01 verification which is all good for Gun Broker stuff, but...

Top Bottom