• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Got the reamer, cutting fluid & the rifle. Festivities will likely begin in next couple of days.
    Awesome, post pics.
    I might attempt doing a strait wall. I though briefly about reaming out a bottleneck and then thought better. The barreled action is heading to Jim Calhoon this week sometime. And I couldn't remember what else I needed to do while I was in the shop today.
    I will get your picks tomorrow.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Are you doing this by hand? Got a lathe? Floating chamber reamer holder? Do tell.....
    I have a lathe, I made my own Floating chamber reamer holder, I have done a few rifles......
    My advice, as a machinist & gun guy....that reamer is HARD & brittle. Only twist in one direction in & out, use plenty of dark cutting oil.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Are you doing this by hand? Got a lathe? Floating chamber reamer holder? Do tell.....
    I have a lathe, I made my own Floating chamber reamer holder, I have done a few rifles......
    My advice, as a machinist & gun guy....that reamer is HARD & brittle. Only twist in one direction in & out, use plenty of dark cutting oil.

I bought a 2nd hand PTG finish reamer that appears to be in fine condition, sharp edges & no appearance of use. Planning to use a T-handle, from what I have read it should only take minimal turns to go from mag to max.

The only lathe I have ever operated were brake lathes in a previous life, a long, long time ago. Once I get some of the projects off my plate I am looking to get a small lathe of some kind.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Interesting. I am not familiar with 357 maximum, heard of it, but not familiar with its ballistics. Is there a specific reason, or just for fun?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Interesting. I am not familiar with 357 maximum, heard of it, but not familiar with its ballistics. Is there a specific reason, or just for fun?

From what I have read, rechambering makes it shoot better with magnums as well.

Makes the rifle more versatile with more punch & range.

Can shoot 38spl, 357 Magnum & 357 Remington Maximum from the same rifle.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Cut the chamber last night, it went pretty fast even though I was taking it slow. The PTG reamer cut it easily and without effort.

Removed the roll pins holding the extractor.

Was watching the rim cutting section, when it started to get closer I kept checking with a new case until the rim just cleared flush with the back of the barrel maybe .002" recess.

Used plenty of Tap Magic fluid.

If the cases grow much, may go back & cut it just a tad longer so I don't need to trim cases very often. Easy to take a little material out, no putting it back once it is gone,

This is roughly where the reamer started to cut;

2024-03-18 23.26.54.jpg

Almost there;

2024-03-18 23.32.02.jpg

This is where it ended;

2024-03-18 23.55.45.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members