Reciprocity and indian reservations question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    I did a quick search and didn't really find the answer I'm looking for. My wife and I are taking a trip to Yellowstone soon, and she wants to add Wyoming, North Dakota and South Dakota to her states that she's visited. I've considered taking a gun as all of those states share reciprocity with Indiana.
    My question is, are roads that pass through Indian reservations governed by state/federal laws, or do the (tribal laws) trump the state and federal laws as far as carrying your gun through their areas?
    I hope this makes sense, and I hope I put it in the right area as I haven't posted on here in a coons age!
    Thank you.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My understanding is that the tribal laws absolutely trump anything else.
    The caveat I'll add is that its been 5-6 years since I looked into it, and my area was focused more to the south in the Arizona area.

The general thing I remember is that I'm very much a 'rather ask forgiveness than permission' kind of person but there were places I left it unloaded and locked away because the teeth in the laws were so bad.
    I was more concerned with smaller roads than interstates, for sure.

The trouble is every nation/tribe can make up their own laws for their area, and they can change pretty rapidly, and some are unquestionably vague.

I did a lot of searching on google; each area is kind of it's own thing and it's worth it to go through them all, print them out and carry them with you. As far as I know there is no clearinghouse of info like the phone apps for the states.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Interesting questions, I’d rather like to know too! Not planning a trip like that, but it would be interesting to find out… Let us know what you find out…. Enquiring minds want to know!

MrMunster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Thank you all for the replies and information. I'm leaning towards leaving it at home and not taking the chance. I wanted it more for the chance encounter of a wild animal that won't take "boo" for an answer!
    We did the Yellowstone loop and my advice is to take it. Other than IL & MN it is unlikely anyone will notice or ask.

Just take a case to store it - unloaded - when you need to do so.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I think Montana had good reciprocity. And there has historically been no issues having guns in your car. Loaded mostly.

Last edited:

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Thank you all for the replies and information. I'm leaning towards leaving it at home and not taking the chance. I wanted it more for the chance encounter of a wild animal that won't take "boo" for an answer!
    One would assume (I know), if you treat them like the communistic state of Illinois, lock the gun in the trunk (I have a lockbox in my van), you should be ok.
    For the record, I'm not an attorney, nor did I state in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Best advice I can give. and have done in the past when I had hearing. I called the state police of certain state I was visiting to get the correct information.
    In this case you should call the tribes police you plan on visiting, and ask them directly. Then you will know for sure.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Best advice I can give. and have done in the past when I had hearing. I called the state police of certain state I was visiting to get the correct information.
    In this case you should call the tribes police you plan on visiting, and ask them directly. Then you will know for sure.

Maybe/maybe not. My experience is with Illinois and information could never be dependable. The police in many instances would tell you what they wanted the law to be not the actual law.
    I just asked a friend from Illinois a question about non-resident carry. He did not know even though he is an Illinois CCW instructor. He asked the ISP and they just answered they do not give out legal advice. Jim.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Maybe/maybe not. My experience is with Illinois and information could never be dependable. The police in many instances would tell you what they wanted the law to be not the actual law.
    I just asked a friend from Illinois a question about non-resident carry. He did not know even though he is an Illinois CCW instructor. He asked the ISP and they just answered they do not give out legal advice. Jim.
    Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri state police gave out the law. They ask for my email address and sent a link to it for direct access to their laws. So i think Illinois state police if that is what they do are lazy.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri state police gave out the law. They ask for my email address and sent a link to it for direct access to their laws. So i think Illinois state police if that is what they do are lazy.

I can see "lazy." As a former resident of that ######## called Illinois I think there is another reason besides lazy. Having either a majority or super majority for as many years as I can remember pretty much all laws have been written by D's. Part of their bill writing skill is to make them vague and hard to understand. That way there are more than one way to intemperate the laws, makes it sound like the law means one thing when passed then enforced in a different interpretation. That way no one, in this case the ISP, wants to put anything in writing that could come back on them.
    Kind of like a night shift foreman I worked for many years ago, nice guy and knowledgeable in his field. Trouble was the superintendent was a little tyrant dumb as a box of rocks but always right. If you asked the foreman's opinion about doing a job he would talk all around the question without giving you a real answer. Some of the others on the crew would get PO because of this but I would usually defend him. Remind them of how many times the super would come in in the morning and reverse everything and call him stupid.
    Never dealt with the other states you mentioned but I cannot imagine any of them having the level of corruption and/or incompetence as Illinois. Jim.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    How you talk to the police is also going to matter. Chatting with them in person, phone call to an officer, phone call to the admin, email to someone all gives them different amounts of time to research and compose a reply. Also depends on who you talk to and how they're trained because they, like us, are mostly human beings subject to all the variations thereof.

Top Bottom