• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Guys that have shot these calibers, how is the recoil? Would you recommend one over the other for a woman? I ask because my wife has petite build. She has shot a 12 gauge sabot and can't handle the recoil.

The 358 would be an Encore vs. the 458 AR that cancels some of the recoil. My needs are a 150-200 yd. gun with knockdown power. The follow up shot from the 458 would be an added bonus. I reload so ammo costs aren't an issue.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If your Encore weighs 7.5-8.0 lbs, and your AR weighs 9 - they won't be that much different.

There isn't much too my wife, she doesn't care for the sharp recoil of the heavier 358 BFG loads(with 200+ grain projectiles), and doesn't care for the wallop of the 458 shooting 405's either(in an AR, bolt or Encore).

I'd suggest a 357 Maximum/358 Gremlin/357 Herrett.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Get a Recoil Tube Buffer on the .458 that can handle it for one. Second, go get the biggest sissy pad you can find and then it mite take back the kick a little. I shot a 450 grain .458 and it dug in to my shoulder pretty hard. I had an open target crown, I suppose that it mite make a difference with a decent compensator, but there's just not much getting away from the recoil. I'd rather shoot my .300 win mag all day, than do much work with that 450 grain .458.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The .358 BFG/WSSM recoil is like a .30-06 for comparison.

You can always down load it (200gr Hornady FTX @ 2100-2200fps) to match .35 Rem ballistics, but as fireball said, maybe the Max, Gremlin, or Herrett is a better choice. The Herret will be legal for the 2012 season.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The .358 BFG/WSSM recoil is like a .30-06 for comparison.

You can always down load it (200gr Hornady FTX @ 2100-2200fps) to match .35 Rem ballistics, but as fireball said, maybe the Max, Gremlin, or Herrett is a better choice. The Herret will be legal for the 2012 season.

My load, a 225gr Accubond from an Encore platform is running right @ 2500fps. It will shoot into 7/16" @ 100 yards, all day long, IF I do my part.

Unless you hit bone, there is NO guaranteed knockdown shot. If you hit spine, they will drop right there.

The load I have developed, working with Hodgdon Tech Support, is safe in my firearm. And it is less than what a .30/06 for recoil in my opinion. We all have perceptions so...............we may perceive things differently.

I also have the thumbhole synthetic stock on my Encore. It has the "shock absoring" stuff in it, can't remember right now what that is called though! ;)

If I could have only one rifle for deer here in Indiana, even with the growth of the case length, mine is going to be the .358/25 WSSM. Mostly because of all of the money I have in this current setup, the other part is that I think it is a really cool little round. Take one of those Accubonds and show it to someone and they always ask what in the world that is! I just say: "Deer legal in Indiana!" :D

Top Bottom