• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    My wife really likes our TT33 Tokarev, but it's not suitable for carry. She's a light 95lbs, and double-action pistols are just not her thing. She likes the function of the Tok, and the slim frame, and the crisp single-action. She found the recoil of the 7.62x25 to be mild and easily manageable. She also really likes the look of the 1911 and the abundance of aftermarket accessories.
    I'm more of a wheelgun kind of guy, and the only autos i own are tupperware.

My question: how does the 1911 compare to the Tokarev in terms of recoil? Would anyone with a 1911 be willing to let her put a few rounds down range to see for herself?
    Thanks in advance, I know there are a LOT of 1911 shooters on here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A 1911-style pistol in 9mm would also be rather light recoiling...

Out of the same sized handgun, my opinion and experience is that .45ACP delivers more felt recoil than does 9mm.

Hopefully you can find someone who'll help you out.

And glad youins like that Tok. :D

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    I honestly find the recoil between a tok and a .45 1911 to be about the same. The main differences being that the Tok is more of a sharp jolt while the 1911 has a slow push. If she can handle the Tok she should be able to easily handle the 1911.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Thanks a lot, gentlemen. I figured as much with the recoil, but I really wanted another opinion. Pretty much everything I shoot has a lot of snap, aside from 38 target loads. My wife does not like shooting my pistols with SD loads! I've been wanting to get her something a bit heavier than the .38 snub she currently carries, as the recoil with the full-house defensive loads is simply too much for her taste.

She's pretty much settled on a 1911, now I've got to find one in stainless with an ambi-safety. (I guess I could pay a smith to install one, but...)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The recoil on the 1911 really depends on the size and frame. A full size stainless 45acp 1911 has a very manageable percieved recoil. When you get into the compact 1911's with aluminum frames, the recoil factor increases, but still stays fairly manageable IMO. I'm sure you'll find someone close to you to let your wife throw a few down range. It would be good to shoot both a fullsize and a compact frame. Good luck.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When you come out to Eagle Creek again, bring some 9mm ammo: I'll let you shoot my RIA 9mm 1911. Wonderful gun, IMHO, one of the best values in 1911s to begin with and the LEAST expensive (but still well built) 9mm 1911 available.

+P and some of the +P+ I have fired was VERY mild in the fullsize 9mm 1911, much like .38 WWB out of a K frame. The light 147gr loads I make are VERY mild, barely cycle the action, reliable and feel like a .22 Mag (not bad at all) out of a Single Six. Hope this helps, but bring 'er out and let her shoot mine. You'll be going to the store that very day to get one! :D

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Thanks, DH! I'll see what I can do, but she works weekends and if I want to go to the range with her I usually have to take time off during the week. Since we moved out of Indy, I just head out to Wilbur Wright. I've still got 8 days left on my ECPR pass! I'll definitely see if she can switch a shift with someone, because I'd really like her to try a few things out. (without having to go to Pop's or Don's...ugh!)
    Again, thanks a lot!

pwalter824

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    My wife really likes our TT33 Tokarev, but it's not suitable for carry. She's a light 95lbs, and double-action pistols are just not her thing. She likes the function of the Tok, and the slim frame, and the crisp single-action. She found the recoil of the 7.62x25 to be mild and easily manageable. She also really likes the look of the 1911 and the abundance of aftermarket accessories.
    I'm more of a wheelgun kind of guy, and the only autos i own are tupperware.

My question: how does the 1911 compare to the Tokarev in terms of recoil? Would anyone with a 1911 be willing to let her put a few rounds down range to see for herself?
    Thanks in advance, I know there are a LOT of 1911 shooters on here.

I have a yugoslavian M57 Tokarev it has a bit longer grip , the mag holds 9 instead of 8 and it has a 1911 style safety that is what I carry

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    A 9mm 1911 may be what shes looking for. Although I hear alot of things about poor function from them. Dont take this to heart as I have never used one myself.

Top Bottom