Recoil pad/ stock lengthening for Rossi 92?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Have a Rossi 92 carbine which is a bit short in the buttstock to suit me. All the slip -on recoil pads( at least the ones I've seen) are too big, fit way too loosely. Thinking of trying a lace on like maybe a Brauer or such. Anyone use something like this or have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Both the "slip-on" and "lace-on" pads come in different sizes. Measure your stock's dimensions and buy the closest fit. Brownell's and Midway USA give the nominal dimensions for each size in their catalog listings.

The only potential problem I can see might come from the traditional "carbine" style butt on the Rossi 92. Most aftermarket pads of this type are designed with the flat "shotgun" style butt in mind, so the indentation on the 92 might hinder getting as close a fit.

The only other remedies I can think of would be a lot more trouble and expense. Either a semi-finished custom butt stock with a longer LOP or cutting the curved portion off to get a flat base and fitting a pad (with or without a spacer) would mean a good deal of work, time and cash.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have been given the name of a custom leather maker in Evansville whom, I've been told by one of his customers, will fix me up very well. May resort to this if a short search of commercial items yields no solution.
    I am aware that these items come in various sizes and have measured my gun's stock. What I've seen in the catalogs and online is simply too big. The Rossi 92 has a small footprint. Perhaps I will look into CAS suppliers as CAS competitors often use some sort of buttpad .

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Know what you mean, as I have two of the little Rossi carbines in .357 myself. Never looked into a pad, though, as the recoil from even the stoutest factory .357 loads I've run through them hasn't been an issue to me and neither is the relatively short LOP. Personally, I've always found it easier to adapt to "a bit too short" than "too long" but have to admit that I haven't run across the latter very often.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Recoil in these 357s is very modest,even gentle. The stock simply feels like a youth model gun when shouldered. Not the end of the world but something I'll cure with the right item. I've seen a slip-on pad by the name of Kick Killer advertised which in it's XS size may fit the bill. Perhaps also a Brauer small size lace on may work, might be able to add a liner of sorts if needed to assure a tight fit.

Top Bottom