• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm a noob as far as NFA items and supressors are concerned so I'd like some advice. I'm looking to buy (within a year or so) a supressor for my AR (that I've yet to build). This will be a longer barreled AR, 20-24 inch, built for more precision work. I know I won't get Hollywood quiet, that's not the point. From my limited research thus far the Huntertown Kestrel looks like an ok option but I wanted to know what other options I had. Price is not an issue since I will be saving up for this for a little while. This will be a dedicated 223/5.56 can so I won't be shooting any 22LR through it, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: to remove breakdown requirement

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm a noob as far as NFA items and supressors are concerned so I'd like some advice. I'm looking to buy (within a year or so) a supressor for my AR (that I've yet to build). This will be a longer barreled AR, 20-24 inch, built for more precision work. I know I won't get Hollywood quiet, that's not the point. What I do want is a supressor that breaks down so I can clean it, I don't want to have to send it back to the manufacturer for cleaning service. From my limited research thus far the Huntertown Kestrel looks like an ok option but I wanted to know what other options I had. Price is not an issue since I will be saving up for this for a little while. This will be a dedicated 223/5.56 can so I won't be shooting any 22LR through it, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks in advance for the help!

Suppressors are not my area of expertise, but I don't think cleaning is as necessary on centerfire suppressors as it is rimfire suppressors. I've had a YHM for a few years, and thousands of rounds, and never felt the need for it to come apart. I think since your not running rimfire threw the suppressor you might be able to add some options by looking to non take apart suppressors.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Suppressors are not my area of expertise, but I don't think cleaning is as necessary on centerfire suppressors as it is rimfire suppressors. I've had a YHM for a few years, and thousands of rounds, and never felt the need for it to come apart. I think since your not running rimfire threw the suppressor you might be able to add some options by looking to non take apart suppressors.

Like I said, I'm a noob as far as suppressors are concerned. Ok, let's open it up then and remove the non-take apart cleaning requirement then. I'll edit the original post as well.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Personally, I don't think you can beat the Huntertown Kestral suppressor for the functionality and price. YHM makes a QD Titanium suppressor in 5.56mm, and it works very well. Drawback is that it's not user servicable and (something most people forget) you'll want to purchase multiple QD adapters if you're switching firearms. AAC makes an M4-2000 can also, it's a good suppressor but a bit more expensive than the Kestral. There are a ton of different 5.56mm cans out there, and most of them are really good suppressors.

Things to consider - do you want quick detach? Do you want titanium for quickness of cooling and weight reduction. Is a user serviceable can important to you? Consider these questions and it'll certainly point you towards one model over another. But if price isn't a deciding factor, you're going to have to do some research for sure...

Let us know if we can help.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Personally, I don't think you can beat the Huntertown Kestral suppressor for the functionality and price. YHM makes a QD Titanium suppressor in 5.56mm, and it works very well. Drawback is that it's not user servicable and (something most people forget) you'll want to purchase multiple QD adapters if you're switching firearms. AAC makes an M4-2000 can also, it's a good suppressor but a bit more expensive than the Kestral. There are a ton of different 5.56mm cans out there, and most of them are really good suppressors.

Things to consider - do you want quick detach? Do you want titanium for quickness of cooling and weight reduction. Is a user serviceable can important to you? Consider these questions and it'll certainly point you towards one model over another. But if price isn't a deciding factor, you're going to have to do some research for sure...

Let us know if we can help.

Don't forget the YHM QD has a 'ratcheting' feature that makes it not slip loose ;). I have the YHM QD in .223 and .308 and they are great!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Like I said, I'm a noob as far as suppressors are concerned. Ok, let's open it up then and remove the non-take apart cleaning requirement then. I'll edit the original post as well.

Don't take my word for it, as I said suppressors are not my area of expertise. I just hate to see you limit you options for the wrong reasons. You may still decide on the Kestrel. I have a Huntertown rimfire suppressor, and its served me very well. Id give someone like Andrew a call and let them give you some facts about different options.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you might consider a .308 silencer if you think you'll ever go .30 caliber....

Works well on 5.56.
    Downside is they are usually a little longer/heavier. Also, the common threads are different so either you are looking at custom threaded barrels or a quick-attach system.

But... investing a little extra $ now in a .308 setup might save the cost of a whole new can (+ tax stamp) later.

-rvb

ps. I'm in the camp of no need to disassemble if you aren't putting .22 through it.

-rvb

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Don't forget the YHM QD has a 'ratcheting' feature that makes it not slip loose ;). I have the YHM QD in .223 and .308 and they are great!

I went this route but if I had it to do all over again ,

. YHM makes a QD Titanium suppressor in 5.56mm, and it works very well. Drawback is that it's not user servicable and (something most people forget) you'll want to purchase multiple QD adapters if you're switching firearms. .

I'd go this ^ route .

I don't know about the rest but I've been happy with my YHM cans .

111NMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I recently watched some of the Silencerco videos on YouTube. Particularly a few from Nutnfancy. One of the things that really stuck with me was the importance of being able to easily take it apart. Not just for cleaning. If you ever have any kind of maintenance, or damage, or baffle strike, being able to break it down and replace individual parts that are not the serially controlled item is a big plus. I am looking for a rimfire can, so ease of cleaning is more important to me. And while I may not necessarily get a Silencerco product, I came away thinking that being able to clean and service it myself was high on the list of final determining factors. Something to think about.

Heres a couple links. First, they are discussing pistol caliber cans, and yes, I agree that NutnFancy can be sort of a goof sometimes, but IMO there is some good info (data points) here.

Silencerco: "Shut That Gun Up!" Pt 1 by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Silencerco: "Shut That Gun Up!" Pt 2 by Nutnfancy - YouTube

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I went the 308 route myself and dont regret it, however, now i want a dedicated 5.56 can. I have the YHM phantom 7.62 QD SS. It works great, is pretty quiet, however, it is pretty heavy on my 12.5" SBR in 5.56. It mounts to the 5.56 QD mounts just like the 7.62 mounts. It would serve my intended purpose pretty well, but a lighter/shorter can would be much better. I have been contemplating dedicated can in 5.56 myself.

After owning a few cans (Gemtech multimount in 9mm, YHM phantom 7.62 qd, Thompson machine zephyr .22), it is worth it for me to spend a little more and get exactly what I want. I'm sure the Huntertown is a great can and just as quiet as the rest, but for me, the extra 200 or 300 bux for an AAC M4-2000 would be worth it. Quick detach is a must for me on a rifle and the AAC is one of the ones that would offer a good array of muzzle devices for the rifle when shooting un-suppressed and still allow you to switch among different hosts.

AAC M4-2000 would get my vote. Great mounting system, great can, and you could argue that it is a middle of the road price.
    The YHM phantom 5.56 QD titanium would be my second choice.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm very happy with my Kestrel 556, but if the Kestrel 308 had been out at the time I got mine, I would have gotten it instead. I know that probably doesn't help you much, just my two cents.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I've been very happy with an OPS Inc. 12th. I've had no problems with it at all. And see a slight improvement in accuracy with it on.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If I had more money, and didn't care about shooting 22lr (or if I simply didn't have to pay $200 for the NFA stamp, grrr infringement), I might've gone with a big name model like Knights Armament, Gemtec, or Surefire. These have the added advantage of a QD mount option, and are certainly a bit more quiet, as well as smaller and lighter, but they cost twice as much or more. I wasn't willing to spend over a grand on a single caliber suppressor, or pay a few hundred more for QD mount. More importantly, I didn't want to have to send my suppressor in for cleaning or anything. So I'm happy with what I got, because I'm not aware of any big name suppressors that allow you to clean them yourself and therefore shoot 22lr. It is totally worth it to me to be able to shoot 22lr, because it is the only caliber that you can truly make it quieter than a BB gun.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The Gemtech HALO is a wonderful can and I'd recommend it highly for a new owner. Its durable and easy to mount using the standard flash hider on most AR's. The idea that you need to take a centerfire can apart is not very realistic despite silencerco's videos. Many thousands of rounds downrange and I've yet to need to open up a can. One thing you really need to look at and make some decisions on is what you want. Do you want lightweight or can you use a heavier can. Is the size important. How do you want it to mount. If you choose a muzzlebrake or flash hider mount will it limit you to certain or specific types? What are you using the can for? Look at some of the stuff that is available on the market and try to shoot some of them before you make a decision. Some dealers can demo and others can't. Check with friends or guys here on the boards. Many can meet up and show you stuff so that you'll get real world experience with the items you're looking at. The internet is great but a lot of my customers wished they had looked in person before buying stuff online.
    Hope that helps

Frank

blownz28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Greensburg
    I bought a Gemtech Ti Sandstorm around a yr ago. Still waiting on the blasted stamp. However, when it hit the gun shop in Seymor(thank you, Acme sporting goods)I went in to peek at it. Man, that baby is light. 13.3 oz, if I remember right. Should be about right on the Ar 6.8 pistol, im hoping.

Dunno if this helps, lightweight and reliability was high on my list. Oal was another, thats why I didnt go with the quick disconnect stuff.

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I went with the Huntertown Kestrel 556 simply because it was the cheapest. What put it over the top was the ability to take it apart and clean it with no special tools. I also didn't want to go with a $900 can and then have to turn around and pick up a new muzzle break adapter for each of my rifles i want to use it on. I am still waiting on my stamp, so we'll see how it runs when i actually get it.

Also I have started using FireClean and i plan on using it on the Kestrel. Hopefully that works as well on the can as it does on my rifles.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    For this specific application (semi-auto precision rifle), an excellent candidate would be the 12th Model SPR by Ops Inc.

-Reflex design reduces gas blow back in the shooter's face and reduces over all length added to barrel by putting a portion of the primary expansion chamber over the barrel/behind the muzzle.
    -Mount design incorporates a threaded proprietary muzzle brake that you don’t have to remove in order to mount the suppressor.
    -A two point mounting system provides a rock solid mount and reduces or eliminates point of impact shift when using the suppressor
    -Larger internal volume makes for an exceptionally quiet 5.56 suppressor
    -On a side note, the Ops Inc 12th Model is currently used on the United States Navy Mark 12 SPR rifle employed by NAVSPECWAR operators, among others, to kill bad guys in the sand box.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have the AAC M4-2000 and love it. If you were more worried about precision, I would look at a thread-on can. ThunderBeast cans are known for their precision and lack of POI shift.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been wanting a dedicated 5.56 suppressor for about a year now but can't decide on what I want either. As of now I am down between the M4-2000 and YHM titanium for the weight BUT I still can't decide as it is a $1k decision that I just can't pull the trigger on yet. Good Luck!!

Top Bottom