• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd also go with a 10/22 for a semi auto gun thats super affordable. If you are truing to get family members comfortable with guns one of the S&W 15-33 sports could be good just because it's just like an AR. But many have made good cases for bolt guns and it's also a fantastic option! I like the CZ rifles mentioned and if you are on a budget the Savage rifles are still very good and a touch cheaper than the CZ options. I personally started on a Marlin lever action but I was also very fortunate.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I second the Ruger 10/22. I have owned four of them. The last one I bought was a takedown that had constant problem cycling which is pretty much unheard of in a 10/22. I called Ruger and they e-mailed me a return label before I even got of the phone. I mailed it in and they had it back to me within ten days (shipped right to my house no FFL hassle) and it didn't cost me a penny (other than tape and some bubble wrap). Now it works perfectly with any ammo I use. Ruger is a big company with a reputation for quality and after working in a factory I understand occasionally things slip past quality control checks. The odds that you will ever have a problem with a 10/22 are pretty low but if you do they have stand behind their product and make things right...they even included a free magazine when they sent it back.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You guys are missing BIG TIME.
    TWO factors mentioned.... "Budget Friendly" and "17 grand kids".
    I've had numerous Model 60s over the decades, lots of 10/22s, and have a couple of nice old 22 bolt guns.
    I prefer the bolt guns for accuracy and ammo savings.
    I can burn up some .22LR in my Semi-autos. Quick.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You guys are missing BIG TIME.
    TWO factors mentioned.... "Budget Friendly" and "17 grand kids".
    I've had numerous Model 60s over the decades, lots of 10/22s, and have a couple of nice old 22 bolt guns.
    I prefer the bolt guns for accuracy and ammo savings.
    I can burn up some .22LR in my Semi-autos. Quick.
    Excellent point.

A bolt will get the kids to concentrate a little more on the shot too, as opposed to just shooting as fast as they can.

I like a 10/22 with a couple aftermarket add ons. The takedown model is handy and cool.

Recently picked up a pretty sweet Savage bolt gun. Inexpensive, but requires an optic. I like working a bolt gun and they are easier on the ammo hose. This Savage series is notably accurate.

y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png
    I have a FVSR and I love shooting it. I put an inexpensive Vortex Crossfire 3x9 on it, and of course a suppressor.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I highly recommend the uber-affordable Marlin XT series. It can be had in full-sized versions or youth models.

I bought a Marlin XT Youth model for my daughter as her 2nd rifle to replace the single-shot Cricket that she outgrew. I can tell you that this inexpensive rifle can actually shoot more consistent groups than her older brother's custom 10/22 with about $500 in aftermarket upgrades.

She wanted me to do a camo job on it in her favorite color, blue.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If you have little guys and gals learning, I would look at Savage Rascal bolt gun. My boys have done well with it. I taught them how to shoot iron sight first and with the single shot bolt gun.
    Also, big +++ to the 10-22 for a semi auto and the Henry lever action .22 is a beauty.... Solid gun. It is a bit longer and heavier, but my 10 yr old son loves it and handles it better now that he is bigger

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Cz452 scout. Its a 16" barrel and a short stock. It can take a 5 or 10rd magazine. It comes with a solid magazine so the kids can learn with a single shot. These guns are very well made and dont feel like a cheap bb gun. They shoot better than any 22lr rifles i have. I sold my thumbhole heavy barrel savage because this gun would out shoot the savage even with federal bulk pack. Not sure your what your wanting to spend but a great little gun. I bought one for each of my boys when they where born. They still dont know about them.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Excellent point.

A bolt will get the kids to concentrate a little more on the shot too, as opposed to just shooting as fast as they can.

My kids just complained about the stiff bolt. My 455 was pretty new then, and it was a little work to cycle the bolt. The wanted to just pew pew with my SW22 Victory.

I think the bolt is STILL the way to go though.

And the 455 Scout comes with a single shot adapter instead of a mag, reinforcing the deliberate manual of arms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Semi-auto - Marlin model Glenfield 60
    Bolt - Mossberg model 144 or 146

Both are extremely accurate, durable, and inexpensive, relatively speaking.
    My model 144 is the most accurate rim-fire I own.
    I found mine (actually it found me) a few decades ago for $50, and that included a very nice padded tooled-leather thumbhole sling and a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40mm scope. YMMV

dnc59

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    If you want an semi auto a Marlin model 60 a bolt gun any of the Remington 580 series and if lever guns are your thing you cant go wrong with a Henry.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I took the Boss to Rural King to see what they had. We brought home a Armscor/RIA youth model, bolt action. It fit her much better than the others they had. Three of the grandson's also approved of it, they are excited to shoot it. The Boss was concerned it would be too small for me. I told her it would work just fine. I already have a 22, it just has a 3 behind it.:rockwoot:

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    To the original poster, what did you decide? Not gonna rag you, just curious.

We picked up an Armscor/RIA youth model, bolt action. It fit the Boss good, and she liked it. Some of the advice here convinced me to go with the bolt action. I told her we can look at a Pawpaw sized rifle down the road.

Top Bottom