Recommend a 6.5CM ammo for banging steel to 700 yds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am looking for a recommendation on some 6.5CM ammo. I will be shooting steel out to about 700 yds. Not looking for match grade super pricey loads or any hunting rounds. Just a consistent load that is good for plinking at distance.

I have found some Magtech and Sellier & Belot for >$0.60 per round.

Thoughts?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    There is a couple that shoots at Walbash and she shoots a Ruger Precision in 6.5.
    She beats a 10" gong at 750 to death each time we see her shoot.
    She shoots Hornady 140 EDL ammo, I dont know what it costs but it does the job for her well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a 6.5 and the only ammo I've ever fed it is Hornady 140gr ELD. It's an amazing factory load and what I consider to be the gold standard of 6.5creedmoor ammo much like the federal gold medal match 168gr is for 308. If you want to find something cheaper, then buy a box of everything you want to try and see how it shoots. It can't hurt anything to try a variety of ammo.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    +1 for Hornady American Gunner 140gr HPBT for value and performance.

Its a little on the slow velocity side, and the bullet BC a little on the low side (0.285 G7, IIRC) but they fly true and have consistently been 5 rounds sub-MOA for me across multiple 6.5 Creedmoor rifles/barrels.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have a bunch of loose 140 BTHPs I bought based on youtube videos showing good accuracy in many different loads. I'd expect the American Gunner 140bhp load to shoot.

I've had great luck with 140 ELDs too as bullets. Can't tell you as factory ammo.

The only factory 6.5 I've shot has been 147 ELDs-- NOT good in my Savage as they were 1.5-2". And I also shot some WWB 120s that are quite possibly the dirtiest ammo ever produced.

I'm exploring 140 RDFs-- so far, I'm seeing a lot of very encouraging accuracy and high speeds (2850 with RL26). Reasonably priced too like the Hornadys.

Not sure who loads 140RDFs factory though..

Top Bottom