• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Please recommend a good manual case trimmer. I currently have a Giraud and used lee trimmers before that so I never bought a manual case trimmer. This will be used for low volume bench rest type shooting. It will do mostly 17 fireball and 223. I don't want to spend a fortune but I think I'd like to find one with a micrometer adjustment. TIA.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Prior to settling on a GTC I tried a half dozen crank trimmers. Wilson was as fast as any of them, and easiest to set up. Most all the decent ones nail COAL every time.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'll look into Wilson trimmers. Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice!

If you go with a Wilson be aware that you really do need a base for it. You can buy one just for it or use a vise. I went with a small portable vise. This is the one I use 4inch VISE and DRILL CLAMP at Menards . It's about $12 and has rubber covers over the jaws. One of the best buys I've made, not only does it hold the trimmer perfectly but with the rotating vise it's perfect for holding smaller objects at the right angle to work on them.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Can't really say which one is the best because I've only used a Forester. Had it for a long time and am happy with it. It trims accurately(repeatable) and cuts em square, but takes a little practice in adjusting (length and collet pressure on the case's base) to arrive at the desired dimension. If I were to buy another it would be a Wilson with Micrometer adjustment.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is a problem with some of the collet holding trimmers. The diameter of the case rim will be a little different so the collet will pull the case into the holder at different depths. With that happening, the cutter stop only references the trimmer chassis, not the actual case, so the trim length wil vary a little. I added the spring loaded trim pro clamp system to my old RCBS trimmer, eliminating the collet. It trims accurately now.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have the trim pro in my midway shopping cart now. I'll probably place the order in the next day or so.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Trimmers

I've used the Lee trimmers and the seem to work alright. Not really knowing what I was doing, I picked up a Hornady trimmer on one of the for sale forums because the price was right. It works pretty good, but is a pain to set up and you have to use Hornady shell plates. I see why the previous owner got rid of it...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Please recommend a good manual case trimmer. I currently have a Giraud and used lee trimmers before that so I never bought a manual case trimmer. This will be used for low volume bench rest type shooting. It will do mostly 17 fireball and 223. I don't want to spend a fortune but I think I'd like to find one with a micrometer adjustment. TIA.

Ahem, you might think me a heathen, but length of the case/neck has no impact on the accuracy on the cartridge for benchrest shooting. As long as it is in between min and max dimensions.

You are neck sizing, correct? Once you get the less than maximum case length with a trimmer, any kind, there is nothing else to do but neck size the fired cases and shoot them.

I don't know what you would do with a micrometer adjustment.??

Top Bottom