• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Go to Springfield Armory.com You can look at all of the different models and tiers of 1911's that they have and I bet you'll be able to find one that fits your needs and price range....

Dgriffon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Southern Boy
    The best bang for the buck right now is the Springfield Range Officer. For around $750 you get a 1911 that is ready to compete and win competitions. SA is keeping the price donw by only selling 500 fo these bad boys.

Get em while you can!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I went with a MetroArms American Classic Commander for 465 total cost including FFL transfer in December, it had the skeletonized hammer, extended slide release, extended safety and beavertail grip safety, all items I couldn't find on the Rock Island w/o getting the ambidextrous safety, which I wasn't interested in.

this but i was able to get it for 390 plus tax nib. think i got it from ingo supporter before i was a member here.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A Entry level Colt can still be had for around $600. That's what I bought a couple of years ago and the only trouble it gave me was when I went to friday night steel and did not give it a once over after sitting in the safe for over six months. Very accurate out of the box, first shot down range I blew the X out of the bulls eye at 20 ft!

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    If it were my $600 which I consider to be a lot of money! I would buy a 1911 with 1) no special (non browning) intergrated lock saftey 2) would have a forged! not cast frame 3) would not be shorter than a commander size. Saying all that I love the springfields, think that dollar for dollar probably the best buy out there especially if you can get a good deal. Good luck my 2 cents.

".45, it's just like 9mm, but for grown ups":):

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    First of all, way to go 38special! You just flat stole that thing. As for RIA, I have the Tactical model with the skeleton hammer and trigger. Love it. For the money, I think it would be difficult to better. Go to Gun Broker and look thru them.

Thanks. I actually got it from a gun store believe it or not. Strictly Shooting in Evansville when I was visiting a friend down there.

I've seen these for $360 to $380 on INGO before as well. Deals are out there to be had if you're patient.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I like the RIA, Springfield and American Classic. There are some other decent entry level 1911 for the 500 range. Those three I have personal experience with.

If it was me I would be looking for a used 1911 though. I think of getting your first 1911 much like your first car. You probably don't know what you like yet. By picking up a used gun you can get more for your money and if you resell you'll get really close to what you paid for it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i know of a american classic 1911 stainless for 565.00, nice gun out of the box, beavertail grip, commander hammer, extended safety, extended slide release, novak sights and the nicest trigger you've ever felt on a factory gun!

the taurus 1911's are nice but the prices are going through the roof! i have a pt1911al and with the new prices the cost on that one is almost as much as a kimber is now

i love my taurus but i paid 585.00 for it last year (in september) and the same gun sells for 710.00 now (thats retail not msrp)

i priced a taurus pt1911ar (the aluminum frame with a rail) out the door for less than 600 in december and when he came in to order it in january our cost had gone up to OVER 600.00

the way people are spending their tax money now, if you wait a month or so think you'll see a TON of guns for sale

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I have both the Para GI Expert and the RIA officer clone. Both are good shooters and provide an excellent value.

The Para has some additional features, ie three dot sights and skeltonized hammer, the fit is great but truth be told, the finish is somewhat lacking and wears poorly. I've owned the gun since August and use it for EDC and it looks like it's been bouncing around in the back of a truck for two years.

The RIA had some feeding problems initially which were corrected after a quick trip to Nevada for some warranty work. I actually shoot better with the blade sights as opposed to the three dot sights on the Para, soince those are the sights I was trained on years ago.

Overall, I think Rock Island gets the advantage here. So much so, that RIA has made the "short list" for my next firearm purchase.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    If you don't want to spend too much $$$ what about a WYOMING ARMS 1911, they don't make them anymore or a SAFARI ARMS ?? Don't know if these 1911 are of good quality.

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    First of all, way to go 38special! You just flat stole that thing. As for RIA, I have the Tactical model with the skeleton hammer and trigger. Love it. For the money, I think it would be difficult to better. Go to Gun Broker and look thru them.

I just bought an RIA Tactial two tone,with skeleton hammer and trigger.
    Bought Tuesday shot Wednesday. It shout alittle to the left so I have moved the sight and will take it out tomorrow? No miss feed with no problems. I bought some extra mag from Bradis 2 for $8.95. They worked great. I bought the gun from Plainfield Shooting Supplies, Great price, great people to work with, ask for Bob.I have never had a problem with Bob. He's great to work with.I have worked/traded with him for over 20+ years.

Top Bottom