• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Central/Southern (Indy-Bedford areas, closer to Bloomington is better) Indiana that does good trigger jobs on Ruger GP100?
    Not necessarily wanting to change springs, just smooth friction surfaces (fine stone filing, etc.)
    What would/should this cost? I'm guessing $50-$70, please let me know if I'm way high or low.

Thanks.

P.S. While we're at it, where can I get charge holes chamfered as well? Nothing too aggressive or deep, but a little bevel to help guide the rounds in.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You can do the "smoothing the friction surfaces" yourself just by dry firing your fine handgun thousands of times. You understand that stoning these surfaces is simply an accelerated wear program? I like to dry fire a couple of hundred times a day in front of the tv.

I guess you could call my answer as non-responsive to your question, but I have many revolvers with this cheap trigger job. Plus I also have a strong trigger finger that can totally control the trigger. My Security six has benefited from this and is GTG with nothing else.

I know gunsmiths who call working the action thousands of times without opening it up as the "$25" trigger job.

Chamfering is also very easy, but maybe I should just keep that to myself. After all gunsmiths gotta put the kids through college, right?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You might try US Defense Solutions. When I was checking out the Ruger revolvers they had a few months ago one of the employees told me he was able to do trigger jobs on them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of the areas in the GP revolvers that makes the trigger feel really notchy and is easy to fix, is the hammer spring guide. These rods are just stampings. The corners, edges are not real smooth, and every coil of the spring that touches those little bumps makes the trigger pull worse. Take that rod out and make the edges smooth with a fine mill cut file. Then polish with 240 emery paper spreading the radius of the corners, followed by 400, followed by 600. If you are really picky follow that with a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge. You will be surprised at how much smoother the double actionpull feels. NOW, start changing springs, etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    One of the areas in the GP revolvers that makes the trigger feel really notchy and is easy to fix, is the hammer spring guide. These rods are just stampings. The corners, edges are not real smooth, and every coil of the spring that touches those little bumps makes the trigger pull worse. Take that rod out and make the edges smooth with a fine mill cut file. Then polish with 240 emery paper spreading the radius of the corners, followed by 400, followed by 600. If you are really picky follow that with a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge. You will be surprised at how much smoother the double actionpull feels. NOW, start changing springs, etc.

Thanks!! I'll definitely try this! As well as plenty of dry firing. I'll start out by doing what I can first, then I'll look at taking it so a smithy. IF I do swap out springs, are there some that are just 1-2 lbs lighter - I still want reliability with factory ammo (or if I reload with harder primers). Everyone talks about a spring kit from Wilson, any other good ones out there?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I just look at Brownells for springs (if I have no stock to make 'em on hand).
    Trapper used to be good way back, but most of what I put in the last few years have been Wolff.
    Seem to work just fine.

Sometimes the kits are more general within model/type and may require a coil or two off (usually trigger return spring, like when putting a Smith kit in a Taurus).

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You can do the "smoothing the friction surfaces" yourself just by dry firing your fine handgun thousands of times. You understand that stoning these surfaces is simply an accelerated wear program? I like to dry fire a couple of hundred times a day in front of the tv.

I guess you could call my answer as non-responsive to your question, but I have many revolvers with this cheap trigger job. Plus I also have a strong trigger finger that can totally control the trigger. My Security six has benefited from this and is GTG with nothing else.

I know gunsmiths who call working the action thousands of times without opening it up as the "$25" trigger job.

Chamfering is also very easy, but maybe I should just keep that to myself. After all gunsmiths gotta put the kids through college, right?

And with the added benefit of making you a better shooter if it is quality dry fire.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And with the added benefit of making you a better shooter if it is quality dry fire.

It's why folks stare in amazement at my awesome skills with a handgun when I choose to shoot in front of witnesses.

I also require no cameras unlike that media hog, Jerry M.

Probably shoulda used purple?

Seriously though, I really don't know why folks don't dry fire their handgun, no matter the make, hundreds of times every day.

How else do you make that object become a part of you? An extension of you?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks for the feedback.... I will now reiterate: Please recommend a G.D. GUNSMITH!?!?!

edit: I'm just shocked nobody has mentioned a specific name or shop... Does nobody trust their local gunsmith?

Last edited:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you are willing to stop by and wait for the work to be finished, I'm a licensed ffl and gunsmith in Greenwood. I work primarily on competition firearms, but send me a pm and I'll see if my work will fit your needs.

oldrookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    If you are willing to stop by and wait for the work to be finished, I'm a licensed ffl and gunsmith in Greenwood. I work primarily on competition firearms, but send me a pm and I'll see if my work will fit your needs.

Can you do a trigger upgrade on a Ruger LC9? I have a Galloway Precision Kit.

Top Bottom