• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    FWIW: Davidson's just announced that they have the exclusive rights to the limited run of Ruger Gunsite Scouts in 6.5CM.

Ruger Sneaks 6.5 Creedmoor Gunsite Scout To Market As Davidson's Exclusive - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

6836-RUG.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My vote would also go the Hog Hunter. It has so many features out of the box for less than $500 bucks its a heck of a value. Only downside is the blind mag, not a total deal break just be aware of it.. Here is a video review I did, check it out!

[video=youtube;eZC7hH0rfhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC7hH0rfhI&t=336s[/video]

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just got back from shooting my CZ 452 with Iron Sights, something organic about shooting with Iron Sights. I love it! Going have to make a trip down to ProTeq and shoot my Swiss Mauser.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Oh alright. Maybe don't need iron sights.

Have my eye on a Howa 1500 Gameking...

As I said, I actually prefer iron sights on my rifles, and I went out of my way to get my M77 (tang safety) with them back in 1989.
    I haven't used the sights on mine for hunting, but it's still better to have and not need than need and not have, as with the hypothetical situation when the scope gets broken or knocked off of zero without time or location to sight in again.
    Never say never.
    Also, I just think a rifle looks unfinished without sights.
    Just MNSHO.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Oh alright. Maybe don't need iron sights.

Have my eye on a Howa 1500 Gameking...

Howa has a version of a scout rifle with iron sights too, if you still want iron sights. The rear peep sight on these sounds like it might be better for your stated purposes than the rear sights that come on the Ruger Scout, Guide Gun, or Savage Hog Hunter.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    There is a tikka CTR version with iron sights that canadian rangers use. 1/2moa gun. Probably wont be able to shoot that with irons sights but its capable no doubt. Im guessing around $1200.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    First range trip with the Howa. Just breaking in the barrel, so not much to report.

The first few rounds seemed to leave a lot of burned powder, but then not much.

Haven't been shooting anything bigger than .223 for a long time, so the recoil was surprising at first. I did find it easier to shoot with both eyes open, though...

Need to cycle the bolt robustly, I failed to do so several times and did not strip off the next round. Have to remind myself I won't break it! :):

The trigger is very nice, breaks cleanly.

It's a very nice rifle indeed.

As for the glass, not sure yet. I was hitting about 30" low at 100 yds. Finally got it close to/on paper. Not sure if the scope is horrible or mounting was the issue. I realize I wasn't shooting for accuracy yet, but a new scope may be in the offing.

Real proof comes in the next trip, when I get it braced and sand-bagged.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes they do. Some good reviews, some not so good.

Just depends on the model you get with the rifle. The lower end ones that are included with the packaged target master rifles and some of the others arnt so great but the Diamond Long Range packaged with the HCR are actually pretty nice.

Top Bottom