• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Look into the Remington 700 SPS. They can be had for about $500. Otherwise check into the Ruger american for about $330. If there is one piece of advice you take from any post: DO NOT settle for a Remington 770. I hate those things.

Good point, walmart will tell you they are the same thing, but they are absolutly not the same thing

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thinking about buying a bolt action rifle, but i dont want to spend a fortune and i want one that is accurate! I'm thinking under 500$ and caliber wise, i like affordable, but i like a little recoil, and itd also be nice to know that i could possibly hunt with it (maybe outa state, u know)...just wondering what u guys think a good entry biolt gun would be, ive never owned one before.
    I picked up a used Winchester Model 70 from K&T guns in New Haven for $500 + tax. It's chambered in 300 WSM as opposed to what I wanted (308 or 30-06), I planned on getting the stuff to reload for it so doesn't phase me too much, just glad I'm not stuck buying factory ammo @ $2+tax/round for the cheap stuff.

Going off what I was able to read on multiple forums when I went through this process, I could see Savage was the better low-priced bolt action rifles (with the accu-trigger), I think pre-remington marlins were at 2nd best, then the helm went to remington for popularity, but that also increased the price. Winchesters arent bad at all, just not as popular as the Remingon 700 action because the 700 action was used in the M24 Sniper rifle for the military. Ideally you want a rifle that comes with a scope outta the box to save you money on getting a $70+ scope that might not come with rings and mounts.

If the military used a Winchester, they'd be more popular than the Rem's, not sure why Winchester didn't get the bid tho. Dont discount buying a used firearm from Armslist or a gun shop.

*Also, Weatherby Vanguard's are goo, but only go for the 2nd generations, not the 1st gen's. Think 2nd gen came out in... 2010?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    1) Tikka T3 lite
    then the others:
    T/C Venture
    T/C Dimension (change barrel w/ bolt action)
    Remington 700
    Savage axis
    other Savages (like the 111 xp combo with a nikon prostaff scope)

As others have said, ammo is pricey. Regardless, I love .243, .308, .30-06, even .223 is fun in a bolt gun!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I picked up a used Winchester Model 70 from K&T guns in New Haven for $500 + tax. It's chambered in 300 WSM as opposed to what I wanted (308 or 30-06), I planned on getting the stuff to reload for it so doesn't phase me too much, just glad I'm not stuck buying factory ammo @ $2+tax/round for the cheap stuff.

Going off what I was able to read on multiple forums when I went through this process, I could see Savage was the better low-priced bolt action rifles (with the accu-trigger), I think pre-remington marlins were at 2nd best, then the helm went to remington for popularity, but that also increased the price. Winchesters arent bad at all, just not as popular as the Remingon 700 action because the 700 action was used in the M24 Sniper rifle for the military. Ideally you want a rifle that comes with a scope outta the box to save you money on getting a $70+ scope that might not come with rings and mounts.

If the military used a Winchester, they'd be more popular than the Rem's, not sure why Winchester didn't get the bid tho. Dont discount buying a used firearm from Armslist or a gun shop.

*Also, Weatherby Vanguard's are goo, but only go for the 2nd generations, not the 1st gen's. Think 2nd gen came out in... 2010?

Ive built 1 rifle on the 70 action, and bought another built on the 70 action. Anyone who says they are not good enough just dont know what they are talking about. I prefer the remingtion mainly because the safety.

The military does not always use the best product (not saying the 70 is better than the 700 or vise versa). Budget does come into play.

Ideally you want to stay away from scoped packages. Typically they come with 30 dollar scopes, the ones that come with a nikon come with a better scope, but there are better options out there for the extra money you spend on the nikon. The rings they use are about 15 bucks new and the base is another 10. Typically the packages are not very good quality products (there are exceptions to every rule)

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Thinking about buying a bolt action rifle, but i dont want to spend a fortune and i want one that is accurate! I'm thinking under 500$ and caliber wise, i like affordable, but i like a little recoil, and itd also be nice to know that i could possibly hunt with it (maybe outa state, u know)...just wondering what u guys think a good entry biolt gun would be, ive never owned one before.

Mine would be perfect for you. I'm going to list it in the classified soon. Watch for a T/C Venture in .308. I zeroed it with (6) rnds and used a 30-30 instead for hunting. I don't need it. It is back in box and packaged like new.

Top Bottom