• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    After years of doing propane, we're considering going to charcoal. Can anyone recommend a good, small and portable charcoal grill? It's just the three of us, and while we grill a lot we don't need some huge honking grill, and I'd like something I can put in the garage once we're done so it doesn't get blown all over like our big grill does.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I have been using the same Weber for over thirty years. Cooked some burgers on it yesterday. I had to replace the one touch system on it a couple years ago because one of the fingers was rusted out.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Boy that's an open question, kinda like which is better, a ____________ or a 1911? If you're in the area I've got an older chargrill kettle for cheap! Some of the porcelain is chipped and there is a little rust thru in the bottom but still a lot of burgers/steaks/hot dogs left in it if you're still on the fence about going back to charcoal. At the end of the season, "invest" in a better grill for next season and pass this one along. BTW the "area" is Mooresville.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sorry Weber guys, I'm afraid it's not that easy for me.

Char-Broil 18.5-Inch Portable Charcoal Grill*|*Meijer.com

more cooking surface than the small weber one touch, more portable, cheaper ($25 locally), and the big plus for me, it has air vents UNDER the grate as well as a top vent..something most inexpensive webers don't offer.
    Before I cal, BS, check the thickness and quality of the metal. Charbroil as a whole, has copied every successful design in grills, and NONE have the quality of the copied original, and last half or less the time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a Char-Broil grill/smoker, the barrel looking one, it's been a great grill. The cast iron grates are awesome to!
    Vertical or horizontal? I have the Brinkmann horizontal that Char Broil cheapened and copied, and for 15 years old, it will grill circles around the CharBroil imitations.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's another vote for Weber. My local Walmart (and maybe even yours) currently has Weber Gold Kettles out for sale at a real nice price. The Silver is very good, too. Mine has lasted me for years and all I ever really do is replace the grill grate every couple of years. Cooks like a champ. Yeah, the BGE is nice. But it costs a whole helluva lot more than most people are willing to pay, myself included. I'd suggest picking up a copy of the Weber Big Book of Grilling (or whatever it's called this year). It has some serious insights for grilling/smoking and cooking on the Weber. They are designed to cook with the lid on, and it takes a bit to get used to cooking to a clock or temp gauge. Get a Weber and you'll never be dissatisfied.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Before I cal, BS, check the thickness and quality of the metal. Charbroil as a whole, has copied every successful design in grills, and NONE have the quality of the copied original, and last half or less the time.
    Sorry I guess BS was too strong as you didn't assert it was better than a Weber. Weber is THE inexpensive charcoal grill, it works, and will outlast any CharBroil grill far beyond the difference in price.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry Weber guys, I'm afraid it's not that easy for me.

Char-Broil 18.5-Inch Portable Charcoal Grill*|*Meijer.com

more cooking surface than the small weber one touch, more portable, cheaper ($25 locally), and the big plus for me, it has air vents UNDER the grate as well as a top vent..something most inexpensive webers don't offer.

Yep. cheaper. No doubt about it.....it's cheaper.

...and a Hi-Point is cheaper than a Sig and still shoots...most of the time.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Vertical or horizontal? I have the Brinkmann horizontal that Char Broil cheapened and copied, and for 15 years old, it will grill circles around the CharBroil imitations.
    It's horizontal. I've never had issues with this grill, of course I've always had second hand grills that I find at yard sales that last about 1 summer!

Long Rider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Franklin
    I personally like the Big Green Egg for a lot of things, especially slow cooking. Have butt roast cooking now. Makes a great steak as well. For some things I like the weber. A lot of it is about what you are going to cook and personal preferences

Top Bottom