• ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Ok, so here is the deal.
    I recentely retired [Dec.] and a company that I did some business with wants to buy me a firearm for my retirement. :rockwoot:
    They asked me "what type of firearm would you like, or don't have".
    I said "I don't have an AR". They said that was a too much. :noway: But did not give me a price range.
    So now I'm looking at PCR's for deer hunting.
    I really don't like the looks of lever actons with scopes. I def. need a good scope on it. Thinking .44 mag. in a bolt action.
    BTW I did stop at Bradis in the wonderful city of Camby today and looked at a Rugar and a couple lever actions. Nice people there and looked like a well stocked shop. I bought a box of ammo and some para cord.
    I'm guessing to keep around 500-600 $.
    Help me pick a gun.:ar15:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    PCR? Pistol Caliber Rifle?:dunno:

Isn't a PCR by definition a PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine)?:D

Have you considered the Ruger 77/44?

How about a Marlin 1894?

How about a T/C Contender, that way you can buy other barrels?

Maybe a single shot .44 rifle and a bunch of ammo to get up to your dollar limit?

Sorry, I do not know any prices for ya.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ruger also makes a 77/357 also. If you don't like a lever action you are limited in selections. Ruger made 44 mag autos The single shots like the carbine version of the contendr and encore. Handi rifles.

The contender is/would be a good choice as you can make it into about anything. Pistol with open sight or scope, 22 LR to 45-70 within pressure limits. Rifle and shotgun and now black powder. It is one of the most versital options for deer hunting also. Pistols in the 7-30 waters/35 rem and rifle in 357 44 mag 45 super mag, 45 long colt, And 357 max.

Used setups of the generation 1 contenders sometimes get sold off fairly cheap. Barrels will run about 200 each on average.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    A T/C Contender would be a great option, as was said earlier, "that way you can buy other barrels". However, with all the options available you will need a sepearte safe just for the different barrels.

I need to find an employer like yours. I retired from the Army, and thought they should have let me have one firearm to keep as a retirement gift...maybe a nice 50 cal sniper rifle. However I would have been satisified with a 92FS, or even one of those old retired 45's or M-14s:patriot:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    T/C Encore - It's can shoot everything the Contender can and then some. As MAJB said above though, the barrels do seem to attract others.

.....and then with all the extra barrels, you'll start buying more frames. I have bought 8 frames in the last year. My Encore/Contender habit is outta control.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    I got this Ruger pc9 9mm carbine about 3 years ago for $500 on the Ruger Forum and then picked up the p95 for $300 at a local gun show. Might also look for a Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45. too. Being as it's a gift they prolly want to get ya something new so these may be out.

DSC03284.jpg

Marlin Camp 9
    DSC02515.jpg

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a Ruger fan, and love my 77/44. There are some others out there that are not lever guns, but most are single shots. T/C, Rossi, H&R all have some. Of those I have had 2 H&Rs in .44. One is a good shooter (my son shoots it,) the other I had was overbored and never could hold a group. I wouldn't recommend one as the accuracy is hit and miss.

7744002.jpg

7744001.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Today I showed Mike H a Marlin 1894, a Ruger 77/44 and a CVA Scout, all in .44 Mag.

Of those 3, Mike, the CVA works best with your being left-handed and is the least expensive, but I think the Ruger is the "best" in terms of quality, features and handling.

My :twocents:

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am looking real hard at the Ruger M77/44. I like the looks, feel and quality.
    I will probably spring for the scope myself. Oh, and I'll also need dies for reloading.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am looking real hard at the Ruger M77/44. I like the looks, feel and quality.
    I will probably spring for the scope myself. Oh, and I'll also need dies for reloading.
    :yesway: One thing you'll notice is the lightness of the rifle. That comes into play when shooting the 77/44. It is short enough and light enough that there is significant muzzle flip. With a slow round like the .44 it is enough to throw the shot off. I was disappointed with my groups until I started holding the front end down when shooting. Mine happens to like the 240 XTP and a healthy dose of H110.

Top Bottom