• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Looking for good powder for 9mm. I have longshot, but is meters like ****.

Here's my criteria:
    1) must meter well
    2) must burn cleanly

so what do you say?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Big fan of Power Pistol for 9, 40, 44/40 and even lighter 44 RM loads. Meters well enough, although I don't pay much attention to how "clean" a powder burns...I just clean my guns.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Was using titegroup as I feel it's the most economical due to lower charge weight but it's MIA lately. I've been using HP-38 as I could find it. It seems to do well 1100 FPS with a med/high charge weight using Hodgdons data.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I use HP-38, and it works well. Im in no way saying its the best, because its all I've used. I'm not overly picky about my pistol loads so it fit the bill, and I never tried anything else.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend

Here's my criteria:
    1) must meter well
    2) must burn cleanly

so what do you say?

1. Any spherical or ball powder meters well. Finely grained dense powders seem to meter the best, I've tried them all and like AA#5 and #7 for 9mm loads.
    2. Any powder is going to be "dirty" until you get into the upper pressure range of the load. Higher pressures show you cleaner guns and spent casings.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have longshot, but is meters like ****.

Here's my criteria:
    1) must meter well
    2) must burn cleanly

so what do you say?

Just a 'Thought'...The "Meters" part COULD?? be in the powder measure?

Yes, ball type powder does meter better than 'Flake' type of powders, but for ME, my RCBS Uniflow, and my Dillon measures meter MOST all powders well.

As said up thread, most all powders will burn clean @ the mid-upper, to upper ranges of pressure.

My 'Go To' pistol powders are:

1. HS-6
    2. Power Pistol
    3. TiteGroup
    4. WW-231/HP-38
    5. Bullseye
    6. Unique

For Magnum Loads:

1. WW-296/H-110
    2. 2400
    3. BlueDot

If?? you can find any of these, buy by the #8 jug--You WILL thank me later..HA HA..Bill.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Just a 'Thought'...The "Meters" part COULD?? be in the powder measure?

Yes, ball type powder does meter better than 'Flake' type of powders, but for ME, my RCBS Uniflow, and my Dillon measures meter MOST all powders well.

As said up thread, most all powders will burn clean @ the mid-upper, to upper ranges of pressure.

My 'Go To' pistol powders are:

1. HS-6
    2. Power Pistol
    3. TiteGroup
    4. WW-231/HP-38
    5. Bullseye
    6. Unique

For Magnum Loads:

1. WW-296/H-110
    2. 2400
    3. BlueDot

If?? you can find any of these, buy by the #8 jug--You WILL thank me later..HA HA..Bill.

i have the Hornady powder drop. It's spot on for H322 and CFE223. With longshot I get .2 and sometimes a .3 swing. I'm fine with that for shotshell reloading. But that kind of swing in pistol is not exceptable to me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Long Shot= "Hot Rod Autos"

i have the Hornady powder drop. It's spot on for H322 and CFE223. With longshot I get .2 and sometimes a .3 swing. I'm fine with that for shotshell reloading. But that kind of swing in pistol is not exceptable to me.

I have not used the Hornady measure. With that said, my ONLY loadings for LongShot has been for the 10MM auto, and some 'Warm' .40 S&W.

To ME--LongShot is too slow burning for 9MM loads.

I would say you would be wise to use a faster burning (and/or Ball) powder for your 9MM loads..Bill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've been wondering what others were using as well. I have a small amount of Accurate No. 5 that I'm anxious to try out and haven't yet found anything else so I can find something that suits my preferences.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Titegroup and 231 is what I use. I am too new at reloading to recommend. I follow my brother's lead. He has been reloading for 35 years.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've found PowerPistol to be flashy and dirty - maybe it was just my loads. Like HS-6 but can't find it when I need it. Been using Clays at 3.5 grains and found it to be VERY economical, not flashy and not too dirty. Gotta watch the pressure, though. A little extra powder makes pressure go up a lot. Especially in a 9mm case, which is about full at 3.5 grains.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've been wondering what others were using as well. I have a small amount of Accurate No. 5 that I'm anxious to try out and haven't yet found anything else so I can find something that suits my preferences.

I like Accawrit #5 too but Haley's over on Earl has Power Pistol on a regular basis, FYI.

I tried 1 lb. of #5, seemed to shoot ok.

Top Bottom