recommend places to live on the north side of indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    My girlfriend just got a job offer in indy, and she wants to live on the north side. Any recommendations for apartment complexes to avoid or any which you would recommend? I just don't want to see her end up in a crummy neighborhood (crime wise) or a crummy apartment complex (maintenance wise). Thanks for helping us with this!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    We used to live in Ashley Place in Westfield. They were pretty nice, and maintenance was prompt and friendly. The one across the street though Hamilton Square... Avoid those like the plague.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    repped for the feed back! thanks guys. I figured she would want to avoid downtown. I intend to drive and walk (warily) through any potential neighborhood after dark to check things out.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Depends on what your after. I would avoid the Northside, just me, a ton of turned up noses up there. I would avoid the West side and East Side as the crime is outrageous. Southside is a safe bet. And anything 20min from the nearest wal-mart is better yet. Just my experience working over the entire city.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you tend to speed... Even a little, stay out of greenwood

The suburbs to the North aren't any friendlier to the pocketbook. Outdoor malls and expensive stores/restaurants galore. Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, Westfield, Zionsville, all of the above are very nice, yet can be pricey depending upon what you're looking for.

As far as the NE side is concerned, before my wife and I got married we lived in Sand Creek Woods in Fishers for a couple of years. We enjoyed it as much as you can enjoy renting, no complaints there. Great maintenance folks, best prices for the location/amenities offered, size of floorplans, etc.

Give Lantern Woods a look at the same time, a little higher in price, but they offer some larger floorplans and better views of I-69. :D.

Good luck!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you love perpetual road construction, inexplicable traffic jams, and lots of roads that all lead in but none leading out, then you'll love the Castleton area.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I guess my nose is turned up as well...:rolleyes:

There are a couple of places to avoid up north due to the illegals, Mohawk Apartments in Carmel, Hamilton Square (I think) in Westfield, and a few others that I cannot remember the name. It all depends on her budget. I, personally, like the north side, but I guess I am biased since I grew up in Carmel (before it attracted the money) and now live in Westfield (reminds me of old Carmel). I would avoid the Fishers/Geist/Noblesville area, unless you like sitting in traffic on 69. Zionsville is nice too, but a little pricey. Hamilton county has been ranked consistently in the top of the nation for places to live/quality of life, etc.

It also would help to know her budget, to narrow down the choices. Good luck on the search.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Depends on what your after. I would avoid the Northside, just me, a ton of turned up noses up there. I would avoid the West side and East Side as the crime is outrageous. Southside is a safe bet. And anything 20min from the nearest wal-mart is better yet. Just my experience working over the entire city.

This is GREAT advice!

True, I am pretty snobbish.

You're the exception to the rule that is, whenever I'm north of where I work (which is around 56th street on the northeast side) that people care so little for anything or anyone else around them that I find myself struggling to avoid them because their "population density" is so fricking high.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am almost with redneckmedic. the north side can be pricy you pay a premium to live there. the south side is nice. I prefer the west side burb of Avon. good selection of apartments I lived in linden square at 10th and raceway.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    We lived in Fishers when we moved here 13 years ago and the traffic was insane (even back then) so we moved over Zionsville and have really enjoyed the safe small town feeling. They have build several nice apartments at SR 334 and I65 now so it is very close things. Plus it is 10 minutes from 2 shooting ranges :)

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    My girlfriend just got a job offer in indy, and she wants to live on the north side. Any recommendations for apartment complexes to avoid or any which you would recommend? I just don't want to see her end up in a crummy neighborhood (crime wise) or a crummy apartment complex (maintenance wise). Thanks for helping us with this!

Can't tell you where to go, but, i can offer some direction on where not to look.

Here are some borders to stay out of
    1.) 96th st on the North
    2.) Ditch rd on the East down to
    3.) 79th over to Springmill rd down to
    4.) Kessler Ave over to
    5.) 465 back up to
    6.) 96th St.

Get a map and a highlighter, follow those directions then place lines all inside that area. Stay away from the lined in/blocked out area, especially the very center. Don't get me wrong there are some exceptionally nice neighborhoods in this area and even a couple of decent apartment complexes. But, probably not somewhere your gonna want to be due to high volume of not so good apartment complex's.

Top Bottom