• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I always recommend a revolver as a first handgun.

Couldnt agree more. A revolver is the perfect first hand gun. Easy to clean, easy to maintain, easy to load, easy to shoot and they NEVER EVER jam. No ftf or fte or ftl or any of that business to worry about. Carry the revolver for a while, get in as much range time as you can and if you decide you want something different then start doing the research on Manufacturers, caliber options, barrel lengths, polymer or steel and coonfinger as many as you can. Of course.. we all know deep down in our hearts that the 1911 is the only real way to go.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My first handgun was a revolver. Still have it 26 years later. CZ has interested me, and don't forget to check out Kahr. Lots of good advise. Do your reseach. Check out utube. Hickok 45 and check out gunbroker to see what things cost. Don't get in a hurry with gunbroker, some think there stuff is worth way more than it is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    they NEVER EVER jam.

Except when they do. (Nothing wrong with them but there are no magic swords).

Advice for a new gun owner:

1. The gun does not matter, you do. Go to school.

2. When it comes to guns, the subjective is objective.

3. Go to school, allow your software select your hardware. Those that are educated will make far different decisions that are not.

4. Find the gun you like, buy multiple copies. If the space shuttle explodes over the South, not once but twice, then your pistol, which they spent slightly less money on, will break too. There are no magic swords.

5. Plow your own field. It matters not what all the cool kids are doing. Work the basics, over and over.

Pffft, the cool kids are pointing guns at their dicks in Position Cul or the new hotness Appendix Carry, flipping guns around and putting all kinds of crap on the guns. Be guided by logic and do what works for you and in your circumstances in life.

6. Be a student of weapons, not one particular platform.

7. Learn new stuff, read old books.

8. Buy a Rubbermaid tub full of magazines for your new pistols. Magazines are disposable.

9. Learn to run the gun one handed. You will see a lot of one handed shooting in self-defense cases.

10. Above all, go to school and incorporate the Four Rules into your life.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

3. Go to school, allow your software select your hardware. Those that are educated will make far different decisions that are not.

4. Find the gun you like, buy multiple copies. If the space shuttle explodes over the South, not once but twice, then your pistol, which they spent slightly less money on, will break too. There are no magic swords.

5. Plow your own field. It matters not what all the cool kids are doing. Work the basics, over and over.

Pffft, the cool kids are pointing guns at their dicks in Position Cul or the new hotness Appendix Carry, flipping guns around and putting all kinds of crap on the guns. Be guided by logic and do what works for you and in your circumstances in life.

8. Buy a Rubbermaid tub full of magazines for your new pistols. Magazines are disposable.

9. Learn to run the gun one handed. You will see a lot of one handed shooting in self-defense cases.

Wow! Pay attention OP. The Test comes later.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hi,

I am looking for a handgun for concealed carry, range use and home defense. This would be my first handgun, although I grew up with my dad showing me the basic on how to shoot firearms. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking something like a Glock 23 (40) or Glock 21 (45). Any websites that track good gun deals out there?

My response might seem like a shameless plug and I really don't mean it as such. I get asked this question a lot because I help organize NRA Basic courses. Because of this I happen to interact with a lot of new shooters.

1) I invite people to participate in one of our courses. Students will have the opportunity to handle a lot of different guns and will be able to ask questions. We also talk about the equipment that you will need to support that gun. I see Bloomington listed as a location. Since this is your first handgun and you live in Bloomington, I is logical that you may also be a student. It just so happens that I received a donation to support Basic Pistol courses and students can take NRA Basic Pistol for $25. Trust me you will save $25 by not buying the useless garbage that I have bought over the years.

2) It is very common for husband/wife to show up with several different guns. I have noticed that small guns and revolvers tend to go back into the range bags very quickly. The service sized, striker fired guns are easy to learn. They are light enough to carry, have enough capacity for home defense and big enough to shoot or compete with at the range. Remember that you wil have to find holsters and magazines for your gun once you buy it. Glock 19/23, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XDm, Ruger SR9 would all be good choices.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Couldnt agree more. A revolver is the perfect first hand gun. Easy to clean, easy to maintain, easy to load, easy to shoot and they NEVER EVER jam. No ftf or fte or ftl or any of that business to worry about.

Well, you DO have FTF (rare), but a revolver is the EASIEST to clear; Just squeeze the trigger again! Problem Solved! No jam/FTF administrative drills to practice. My wife just got her Larry and since she didnt grow up around guns she feels most comfy with a revolver.

(in case you arent up on the lingo yet: FTF=Fail To Fire, FTE=Fail To Eject, FTL= Fail To Load)

SafetyOff2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Noble County
    For the money/performance/quality ratio, you can't go wrong with Glock, M&P, and XD.
    Many calibers, frame sizes, and aftermarket stuff (if that's what you're into.
    Also, since you're looking to carry, these all have a LARGE niche in the holster market. I can't think of a holster company that doesn't have a holster for each of these firearms.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville

Except.... How can a revolver possibly jam? The bullets dont eject, they stay in place and rotate through the cylinder as spent brass until the operator ejects them.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    To add onto what everything everyone else is saying:
    1. Revolvers are a great recommendation.
    2. My first was a Glock 19 and I couldn't have been happier. I carry a 23 now and for me I wouldn't care as long as I was carrying a Glock. Nothing against other guns but that's what I carry at home and at work and they've never let me down so I'm not gonna try to fix something that aint broken.
    3. Everyone else is spot on: take classes, handle all the guns you can, you have to live with so it's whatever is best for you.

LittleNicky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    bloomington
    My response might seem like a shameless plug and I really don't mean it as such. I get asked this question a lot because I help organize NRA Basic courses. Because of this I happen to interact with a lot of new shooters.

1) I invite people to participate in one of our courses. Students will have the opportunity to handle a lot of different guns and will be able to ask questions. We also talk about the equipment that you will need to support that gun. I see Bloomington listed as a location. Since this is your first handgun and you live in Bloomington, I is logical that you may also be a student. It just so happens that I received a donation to support Basic Pistol courses and students can take NRA Basic Pistol for $25. Trust me you will save $25 by not buying the useless garbage that I have bought over the years.

2) It is very common for husband/wife to show up with several different guns. I have noticed that small guns and revolvers tend to go back into the range bags very quickly. The service sized, striker fired guns are easy to learn. They are light enough to carry, have enough capacity for home defense and big enough to shoot or compete with at the range. Remember that you wil have to find holsters and magazines for your gun once you buy it. Glock 19/23, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XDm, Ruger SR9 would all be good choices.

Where are you located and when are the classes VERT? I was looking up NRA courses on the website a few months back and saw the closest would be Quincy. It also looked like there were very few ranges in the area (probably as a result of being the only super liberal city in indiana).

LittleNicky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    bloomington
    You are going to get a lot of recommendations and people stating their opinions on here.

You have the following groups...

Glock Fans
    XD Fans(Springfield)
    M&P Fans(Smith and Wesson)
    Composite gun Fans(all of the above are composite guns)
    1911 Fans
    etc

What someone said above is handling and shooting all the guns you can would be a good idea. Bradi's is a site sponsor and they have a large selection to choose from to look at. They are up north of you towards Indy but don't have a range there that I'm aware of. Atterbury Gun Range in the Columbus Area rents guns but has very limited selection.

Something to be careful of is it would be ideal to shoot many different sizes and shoot the same size of each different brand to get a feel..but that will be tough to get all in one place.

What I mean by different size is frame size. There are Sub Compacts(Shield), Compact, Midsize(??), and Full Size. The lower 2 or 3 is what one might carry although I'm sure some carry full sizes in open carry or in certain situations.

Good Luck...if you come over to Atterbury I could meet up with you one Saturday and you could shoot a .45(1911) and 3 different size 9's(XD/MP/Sig)...but I don't have any other variety.

Welcome by the way!

Great thanks for the offer.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a 1911 and a Glock 19. Considering selling the 1911 (bedside gun) and getting a g26.

Whatever you get, make sure you aren't going to want something different right away.

I went in wanting an external safety "because of the children". Now I despise them as it's one more thing that could go wrong with it. ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A 22 is the ideal caliber for a first handgun IMO. And a last handgun. My last handgun will be a 38 special. My mothers last handgun is a 22. She is 84.

After 60 years of having guns in my hands, that is my opinion.

Some may not agree or understand, but those that do, are nodding their heads in silent agreement right now.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Where are you located and when are the classes VERT? I was looking up NRA courses on the website a few months back and saw the closest would be Quincy. It also looked like there were very few ranges in the area (probably as a result of being the only super liberal city in indiana).

Saturday, September 14th in Elizabethtown. E-town is a couple miles south of Columbus. So less then an hour from Bloomington.

Go to NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training and search for Basic Pistol. You will find the Elizabethtown class. Simply register online and mention the $25 price for college students. If you have questions my email and phone number are there.

LittleNicky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    bloomington

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis

Loads of wisdom here. I would add only a few things and you make the proverbial, months long decision on your first gun for carry. Read first! There are a few things you should consider before visiting the gun store.

First, how do you live from day to day? There is a lot of gun between an LCP and a Desert Eagle. You will want to make sure you are shopping in the right category for where you work, where you frequent, your build, and how you dress.

Second, figure out your comfort level with design differences. You can learn to operate and shoot well, anything you decide on, but many people find that they are comfortable with specific design options...hammer fired vs. striker, de-cocker on the slide or frame, manual safety or no manual safety, etc. This is where reading reviews and training books helps a lot. Mind you, you may change your opinion down the road anyway, but it helps.

In my experience, confidence in carrying a firearm is equal parts training, mindset, equipment, and relative comfort.

YMMV

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    I have a glock23, not too big not too small. The best thing about glocks are the endless supply of parts and they dont change thier design all the time.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    There are no magic swords.

You're breaking my heart, Kirk.

I also posed a similar question when I started to get into guns, and a lot of people pushed me towards one particular platform. Then I took a course, and the instructors let me shoot different guns from their collection to help me figure out what to buy. I ended up not discovering something that suited me better. I couldn't have figured that out without shooting a bunch of guns in a course. If I had just walked into a store, I would have picked a small, light gun, because I had no idea what it would be like to shoot something like that. Trigger meant nothing to me, because I didn't know anything. After the course, I ended up with a big, heavy gun with a sweet trigger.

So, I'd say, take a basic pistol course. There are a number of them. Some of them allow you to try different guns. You just might surprise yourself.

Oh, and listen to Kirk. He knows what he's talking about. There are no magic swords.

Top Bottom