• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Our house is on a crawl and we noted that our floors have started to sag slightly in certain areas. I would like any first hand experience and recommendations for companies/people to come out and diagnose and repair the problem. My guess is that there is an issue with the structural support down in the crawl.

Any recommendations?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Could be moisture in the crawl space as well. I, unfortunately, am no help. Might crawl down there and take a look to see if you can figure it out to help nail down who to call.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Sagging along the perimeter? In the middle? With the floor joists or perpendicular?

In the middle. With the floor joists. I believe it to be a structural support issue, but not sure which companies are reputable and which ones aren't. AmeriCrawl or any company affiliated with AmeriCrawl is out though - from past experience.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I should also add that the previous homeowner had drainage tile installed around the inside of the concrete block foundation which was routed to the sump pit. Also the entire crawl space is encapsulated.

I did call one local company, and they refused to even come out and look at this particular issue and give me an estimate saying that I needed to call the company that did the encapsulation work and drainage work. Not sure why that matters. I'm paying for someone to come fix my current issue, and the old company won't be doing the work.

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    If it is sagging in the middle some more information will help.

How long is the span between supports? What type of joist is used for the span, 2x10, 2x12 or manufactured? Once you know the type of joist you can determine if the span is too wide for what is there.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I recommend climbing under there first and seeing what you've got. I've seen wood destroying insects compromise the structure of the framing to the extent that the floor-to-bottom-of-the-joist height at the damaged end was a good inch and half lower than the non-damaged. There was noticeable slope in the floor above.

I know why the new company won't come out: they don't want to be responsible for any damage done to the previous work (encapsulation). Is Americrawl the company that refuses to come out? If not, you might mention who it was, in case someone had planned on recommending them.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Our house is on a crawl and we noted that our floors have started to sag slightly in certain areas. I would like any first hand experience and recommendations for companies/people to come out and diagnose and repair the problem. My guess is that there is an issue with the structural support down in the crawl.

Any recommendations?
    A quick fix would be to find a steel "I" beam, put down some concrete pads, and use screw jacks to support / raise the sagging areas. If you go this route, raise the the beam slowly, like 1/2" a month until it's level. Or close to level. This issue didn't happen over nite and the cure won't either.

Top Bottom