• ...and so much more!
  • defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Hello :ingo:

So I have been shooting my first handgun (9mm) for about 4 months now, and I really want to get a 22lr handgun so that I can work on marksmanship for far less ammo cost.

Ideally the 22lr handgun with be a semi automatic pistol, I don't shoot revolvers and don't plan to in the future (but that could always change :))

Recently my wife and I have been making an effort to buy American made products as often as possible, and I definitely feel an American made firearm would be a great purchase.

I really would like to have a threaded barrel also so when I finally start the process to get a suppressor I don't have to go through too much pain.

Also I would like it to not be too heavy on cost, under $400 would be ideal.

So far all I can find is the Ruger 22/45 Threaded Barrel handgun. This does look like a nice firearm, but I am curious if there are any other options.

It seems the three 22lr handguns with a threaded barrel that I see the most are: GSG 1911, Sig Mosquito, and the Walther P22. GSG and Walther are definitely not American made and it seems that the Sig Mosquito is not either (but I could be wrong).

I am also curious about non threaded options. I was really interested in the Smith and Wesson M&P 22, but when I found out that it was made by Walther I was disappointed. I think most if not all of the other M&P pistols are made in the USA and I was hoping the m&P 22 would be too.

Is there anything that I am overlooking, semi auto 22lr pistol made in the USA for under $400, preferably with a threaded barrel?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You could always have a barrel threaded. The uinthreaded version with Cocobolo grips comes in uner $300 usually.

Also check out aftermarket barrels... I think it's called Pac-Lite or something like that. Will help the weight, if that matters.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well, the GSG and the Sig 1911 .22 are both GSG models, and while those, the Sig Mosquito, I don't believe are made in US as you said, I am 99% sure that the Browning Buckmark .22s(both pistols and rifles), Browning 1911-22 are made in the USA. The Browning 1911-22 runs about 500 I believe but the buckmark camper with a threaded barrel can be had right at 400 ish. Hope that helps!

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Well, the GSG and the Sig 1911 .22 are both GSG models, and while those, the Sig Mosquito, I don't believe are made in US as you said, I am 99% sure that the Browning Buckmark .22s(both pistols and rifles), Browning 1911-22 are made in the USA. The Browning 1911-22 runs about 500 I believe but the buckmark camper with a threaded barrel can be had right at 400 ish. Hope that helps!

thanks for the info, need to look into browning now :)

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Have you considered the S&W M&P22?

It can be had for under $400 and comes with a threaded barrel (same a Walther P22). Yes, although it's a S&W it's made by Walther in Germany for S&W if that matters to you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't leave off the Walther P22...

May not be entirely USA made (Umarex owns Walther...German in origin, obviously), but Smith & Wesson handles all the distribution and customer service for them here in the USA.

-J-

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    The Ruger Mark II or III and Wather P22 are resonable and you can't go wrong. I have both, Try different ammo brands to find out what the gun likes. Good Luck

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Don't leave off the Walther P22...

May not be entirely USA made (Umarex owns Walther...German in origin, obviously), but Smith & Wesson handles all the distribution and customer service for them here in the USA.

-J-

My understanding is that the S&W is made in the USA, while the Colt is made by Umarex, in Germany. Nowhere on my M/P15-22 does it say made in Germany.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    There's also the Browning Buckmark Camper Whisper. I believe it meets all of your requirements. I look at it and the Ruger. I've owned both a Buckmark and a Mark II and they are good pistols.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks for all of the replies it seems like the Mark III 22/45 threaded or a browning buck mark with an aftermarket threaded barrel are the choices for American Made 22lr pistol with threaded barrel.

I have a bonus check coming in at work at the end of the week, I am really hoping to find the cash in it for a 22lr pistol, we will see what the wife thinks though.

I guess it will come down to what looks and feels like, I am wanting the 22lr pistol so that I can train more often for less money. I currently have an XD9 (I know not american made) but I am thinking of looking at trading that for a S&W M&P9, so the M&P 22 may make the most sense.

Oh well, thanks :ingo: for the recommendations, much appreciated

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There's a model Buckmark that comes from the factory with a threaded barrel. The buckmark whisper.

Impact Guns - Browning Buck Mark Camper, Silencer Ready- Threaded Barrel

I currently own one and have put quite a few rounds through it, it runs great.

Ultimately, it'll look like this, but with the factory barrel instead of the tacsol.
    64pbw9.jpg

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I have a Mark ll that is over 20 years old and still shoots great. I am in the process of buying a Mark lll and a Tactical Solutions upper(threaded) for my 10 year old daughter. The Ruger's are reliable and accurate.

Top Bottom