• ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi Everyone!
    I am looking for some advice on my next long gun for hunting whitetail here in Northern Indiana. I currently have a Remington 20 gauge with open iron sites. I wish to upgrade to something with more knockdown power and easily allow a scope attachment.
    I typically hunt in a wooded area, so the average distance would be 10-150yrds. I don't need something that would travel large distances, as I doubt I'll ever get out West for Elk/Moose anytime soon.
    I am usually stationary in a tree stand.
    I am open to prices, always on a budget, but I consider this an investment.
    I do not reload, so calibers that are easier to find are appreciated. On calibers/gauges, I am open to suggestion here as well. I figure at my closer range, it may not make that big of a difference.
    I am open to shotgun vs. rifle. Just as long as I stay within the DNR regulations for the state. I always hunt on private land.

Some options that I have reviewed thus far:
    -H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Hunter, in 12 gauge -- I have used this in the past and like it for what I need, but I can't find them anywhere now. (I know my timing is not the best with this ask)
    -Mossberg Patriot Predator, possibly in .308, .270, or even 6.5mm Creed
    -Browning AB3 Stalker, possibly in .308, .270, or even 6.5mm Creed
    -Open to other suggestions

I am happy to take scope suggestions too! I've noted the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40, but it might be overkill for what I need.

Thank you all for any help and suggestions! I am looking forward to this coming season with a better tool at my side.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm partial to a good lever gun myself. I grew up in northern Michigan so I'm kinda biased toward a .30&30 or .38-55. Both would fit your needs nicely.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I use typically use a .270 or .308 for whitetail in WV, (both are IN private land legal to my knowledge), both are plenty for whitetail in my experience, especially loaded with a ballistic tip bullet. Jellies the heart and the deer drop quickly and efficiently (i.e. very ethically). I don't see why a 6.5 CM wouldn't also work, but I don't see much of a need to buy one for myself.

If you want the option to hunt public land and don't intend to hunt out of state at longer distances, it'd be worthwhile to get something that's IN public legal. I haven't shot the options you listed, but there are several nice affordable bolt actions that get you 1 MOA (budget line, Mossberg Patriot, Savages 110, T/C Contenders/Ventures, Ruger Americans; medium price, the Tikka T3x hunter, Bergeras, etc). I got a T/C Dimension on clearance from CDNN last year as a two barrel set for $500. The bolt is a little floppy when all the way back, but the gun is more accurate than I am, and the weird stock is surprisingly comfortable. The Dimension's trigger is sweet and is order of magnitudes better than the old H&R .30-30 singe shot I learned on. If wanting an investment, the mid-range might be well worth the extra $300-400 over the budget lines.

I don't see much point to 12 gauge over 20 for a slug gun. If you're a believer that gun writers have at least some good intentions, Randy Wakeman has written on this particular thing: https://www.randywakeman.com/Slug_Guns_Twenty_Gauge_Vs_Twelve_Gauge.htm
    I'd like to get a rifled slug barrel with cantilever mount for my Ithaca, but if you don't already have an Ithaca shotgun, it's probably not worth investment right at this moment with even used Ithaca prices so high. Could probably find a scope mount for your Remington, but difficult to say without the model.

For scopes, I've migrated towards LPVOs from the 3+ magnifications, and might try out a low magnification US-made prism scope if I can get one in my price range (grad students be poor). I took my new Leupold-Freedom 2-7x rimfire out at sundown when I got it and felt that it gave good performance for what I'd want in a squirrel gun. I also like my Zeiss terra and conquest scopes that I bought when Gander Mountain went under. Both have performed well at sunrise and sunset for my deer hunting and have taken plenty of deer. This year I picked up a Meopta 1-6x SFP with a 4C reticle with an optional red dot in the center - I'm planning on using it this fall for whitetail. For the ranges I hunt, there's not really any need for BDCs with my hunting rifles, so I'm looking forward to the 4C for whitetail in the thick stuff.

Plenty of folks use a reflex sight for brush guns. I've not really gone down the red dot rabbit hole, so I'll let them talk about that.

Reactions: Kev

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    IMG_0290.JPG

I may be biased, but my favorite for the conditions you describe remains the pre 64 Winchester 1894.

I also take a .308 or a .30-06 out from time to time for Indiana deer, but this thing is light, easy to get around with in the woods, and has never left a deer go.

Of course, your milage may vary.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I REALLY like my Ruger GSR. I happen to like the EFR scope, some don't. It is super handy with an Aimpoint micro or clone. You can put on a traditional scope and ditch the rail if you so desire. Mine is sub MOA (3 consecutive 5 shot groups) off a bench with Hornady American Whitetail 150gr spire point ammunition, and said ammo has laid down every deer it has hit within 30 yards. It's light enough to be handy, heavy enough to feel sturdy. The only thing I would change about it is to make mine stainless. (Which are now available)

The 18" barrel is also short enough to not be ridiculously unwieldy with my Silenco Omega attached. Sorry, no deer yet with that combo.

20191116_172453.jpg 20191116_172816.jpg

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I recently purchased a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44 mag with a Leupold 3-9 for deer hunting in case, by chance, I'm able to find a place to hunt this fall.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Just wanted to say thank you all for the recommendations and responses thus far! I appreciate the insight and advice. Please keep them coming! I will let this roll over the weekend and then start doing some heavy research/shopping around in the next weeks ahead.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Your Leupold scope is not overkill. When hunting in the woods, I want something that will let me see my target as well as any obstacle (small sapling) that may detour my bullet path. It also let's you evaluate body or rack size before deciding to shoot.

And yes, a 308 is fine, especially if you don't reload.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    CVA Hunter in .35 Remington with Hornady 200grain FTX......
    7qaIs5W.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Set yourself up for future success. If public land is a possibility, a .44 lever action would be my preference. I killed a mess of deer with one before rifle calibers were legalized.

If you expect to hunt private land, a caliber and rifle that can go the distance would be a solid investment. You may stumble into a friend with a big farm, or some buddies that hunt mulies out west. And don’t feel the need for big calibers. Deer aren’t so tough. 6.5CM, .243, .308, 7mm-08 are all great choices.

Finally, consider buying a nicer gun. My dad collected guns for years, and later wished that he had collected nicer guns sooner. A well made hunting rifle will be a solid investment. It doesn’t have to be an exotic double barrel, but I would recommend steering away from the budget guns that have become very common. They will certainly get the job done, but when you hand your grandson the rifle that you killed 30 deer with, you want it to be a worthy heirloom, right?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Hi Everyone!
    I am looking for some advice on my next long gun for hunting whitetail here in Northern Indiana. I currently have a Remington 20 gauge with open iron sites. I wish to upgrade to something with more knockdown power and easily allow a scope attachment.
    I typically hunt in a wooded area, so the average distance would be 10-150yrds. I don't need something that would travel large distances, as I doubt I'll ever get out West for Elk/Moose anytime soon.
    I am usually stationary in a tree stand.
    I am open to prices, always on a budget, but I consider this an investment.
    I do not reload, so calibers that are easier to find are appreciated. On calibers/gauges, I am open to suggestion here as well. I figure at my closer range, it may not make that big of a difference.
    I am open to shotgun vs. rifle. Just as long as I stay within the DNR regulations for the state. I always hunt on private land.

Some options that I have reviewed thus far:
    -H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Hunter, in 12 gauge -- I have used this in the past and like it for what I need, but I can't find them anywhere now. (I know my timing is not the best with this ask)
    -Mossberg Patriot Predator, possibly in .308, .270, or even 6.5mm Creed
    -Browning AB3 Stalker, possibly in .308, .270, or even 6.5mm Creed
    -Open to other suggestions

I am happy to take scope suggestions too! I've noted the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40, but it might be overkill for what I need.

Thank you all for any help and suggestions! I am looking forward to this coming season with a better tool at my side.

As previously mentioned a 30-30 is a great Indiana brush gun. I have successfully taken deer from 20-100 yds with one open-sighted. these days I have an rmr type sight on it. My largest buck to ate was taken with a .357 Rossi 20" (pictured) @ 60yds with irons. Pistol calibers are also public land legal as well as private. one can not overlook the versatility of a good lever gun. It is worth repeating...a lever gun is the bees knees!

FYI, at the ranges you mentioned a scope may not serve you so well in thicker brush. A peep sight or dot may be of more use.

Good luck and happy hunting (for rifle and deer!)

1625875154723.png

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like a classic look. Wood and walnut or bad weather gun stainless and laminate.

Stand hunting in cover I like a small magnifying scope say 4 fixed 6 fixed ect. Barrel length enough to burn the powder well Without being cumbersome in length Action about anything.

stand on field edges or power lines I like higher magnifying scopes 3-9 4-12 ect. Flatter shooting rounds like 7mm mag 25-06 a-longer barrel is fine here as the stands easy to get in and out.

my favorite is still hunting and I want a gun I can get on target quickly. Sometimes I like a light a rifle in a small package. Others days I like the ability to follow up shots or double tap em.

I have a
    rem 700 7mm mag 4-12 scope
    marlin 336 35 rem peep sight waffle top
    savage model 99 308 four power scope
    marlin 1894 44 mag stainless short barrel scout scope
    t/ c contender rifle 7-30 waters or 357 max or 35 rem or 45-70 4power fixed compact Leopold

I seem to use the 1894 scout the most. The contender second and the others on occasion. sometimes the rifle calls to you. Both the scout setup and the contender do for me. They call to you like love at first sight.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .35 Rem is pretty sweet.
    A Big Green pump (760/7600) feels like an 870 small frame 20 ga
    Boom and not roar.
    Trimmed it meets PCR spec.

IF you dont reload B&K can make you up some public land rounds.

Off the shelf either private or public, .44 mag or .450 BM.

Too bad Ruger #1 in .44 has the bbl looking a bit stumpy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A scope of low mag gets everything in focus and helps you see twigs and stuff that could deflect a shot.

While I have used peeps effectively, a good scope w low mag is better.

Of course your rifle would best fit you so that when it comes up the image is just there.

Some stocks are set up for iron usage and a scope makes things awkward.
    Some people use ridiculous setups even when the stock is for optics use.

So.....if you dont want to add a cheek riser or whatever, your choices may be limited.

Lever guns w scopes tend to be less than ideal. Farting around on the range aint the same as catching an ear flicker in the sticks and having a second or two to get the job done.

Yes, usually one has more time than they think, but not always.

Whatever you do, gun fit is important.
    On the casual side it just makes shooting well more easy.

Top Bottom