• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    My son (13) has been getting better over the last couple of years with his 22LR, and we've talked about doing a weekend together this spring. I would like something within a couple of hours of Indy, and that 22LR would be appropriate. He can consistently hit an 8" target at 50 yards, and a 12" target at 100 yards (3-9x scope Marlin tube fed). Looking for some bonding time, and maybe some instructions for what we could do better. A close friend recommended Appleseed, and the one in Jonesboro looks like it meets our wishes, just didn't know if anyone had recommendations against, or recommendations for another program as well.

My daughter, wife and myself did and AS in Crawfordsville coming up on 4 years ago with ATM, before the whole fall out. It was one of the best experiences we ever had. I had purchased a Marlin 795, Project Appleseed version for my daughter to use, it was a very good decision. All I can tell you is that my daughter who was 11 at the time could not get enough. She is now 14, almost 15 and is a fierce 3 Gun Competitor, we travel all over to shoot 3 Gun Matches, I blame Project Appleseed and ATM. ATM if you read this you should see her now. https://www.facebook.com/browniesandbullets/

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My daughter, wife and myself did and AS in Crawfordsville coming up on 4 years ago with ATM, before the whole fall out. It was one of the best experiences we ever had. I had purchased a Marlin 795, Project Appleseed version for my daughter to use, it was a very good decision. All I can tell you is that my daughter who was 11 at the time could not get enough. She is now 14, almost 15 and is a fierce 3 Gun Competitor, we travel all over to shoot 3 Gun Matches, I blame Project Appleseed and ATM. ATM if you read this you should see her now. https://www.facebook.com/browniesandbullets/
    That's fantastic!

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    There is a Reveres Rider 2 day event May 4th and 5th in Bedford that sounds ideal.
    Both Appleseed and Reveres Riders offer fantastic opportunities and have great instructors.
    Revere’s Riders branched out and expanded course offerings but the core values of both organisations are aligned.
    For what you are looking for either organisation would fulfill your needs but RR’s has way more offerings here in Indiana.
    If you decide to go the RR route you will not be disappointed and the Bedford Contingent range is top notch.
    Loaner rifles are available, instructors are top notch, there is really nothing not to like.
    AJ is stated as the Event Director for the May event and is both an outstanding shooter and instructor/educator.
    I have taken both Appleseed and RR offerings, along with my kids, and would/will sign up for the May event in a heartbeat.
    Two thumbs up.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If your daughter is into pistols, RR has a ladies only basic pistol event scheduled for Saturday, 13 April at the Marion County Fish & Game Club. You can drop her off or stick around to watch and help.

I hear you that Mom is anti-gun, but we'd love a chance to help her understand what it's all about ... maybe she'd be willing to give the basic pistol course a whirl ... a mother / daughter day?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Outstanding! We love hearing stories like this and it certainly brings back some fond memories.

April 18-19, 2015 event pics

:)

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    I attended one of their events last fall to observe and kinda "see what they're about", and I would strongly recommend--given wehre your son is with things--taking him to a Revere basic rifle.

He sounds like he is JUST at the right stage for some more instruction to decrease his hit radius and they'll get that done.

It is TOTALLY not required, but I do still suggest you buy/borrow a rifle that is fed from a box magazine instead of tube. The tube is workable, but in that setting, he needs to be listening to the instructors, not fiddling with the magazine trying to get it reloaded. Even the adult shooter I watched at the event was wasting time with the mag rather than learning about how to shoot better.

If you go that route, your son also needs enough time before the class to shoot that borrowed/bought rifle until he is comfortable with the controls.

...and just to be clear, this is coming from a guy that spent probably 5,000 rounds through a tube Westernfield as a kid. Still have it.

-Nate

Nate,

We'd love to have you help instruct at our events. You know where to find us :):

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Thank you all for the great info. He learned on my Ruger American 22LR (bolt gun version of the 10/22), but one of his grandfather's gave (me to hold for) him the Marlin. I purchased the 22LR bolt gun to teach all my kids on, I think having to break your focus to run the bolt helps them slow down a bit and not just spam rounds. I also have a 10/22 the my dad left me, though I've yet to shoot it. I MUCH prefer to shoot bolt guns (just my personal preference), so we could always just pack all 3 and play it by ear as we go, maybe even swapping around during the weekend. I would certainly buy use some slings. I appreciate the loaner option, but if it's something we can learn and practice with on our own, I'd rather have them available all the time to us. I need to go through the schedule, as I only have the kids 50% of the time. Their mom is VERY anti-gun, so I would only be able to attend the course with them on a weekend when they are with me, so that may rule out some of the course unfortunately.

The 10/22 is one of the more popular .22LR rifles used at our events. It would be an ideal choice for your son to use. Note that we also have some loaner rifles available as well (mostly 10/22s). The US GI sling that you linked to on Amazon would also be very appropriate for our event (we also have several loaner slings if you'd rather borrow one).

As others have pointed out to you, as part of our Rifle 125 course we run an informal timed "qualification" for much of Sunday afternoon. To do well on the qualifier, a semi-auto magazine-fed rifle is just about essential unless you are REALLY good with a bolt-action rifle. For someone learning marksmanship, I would HIGHLY recommend having them use a semi-auto magazine-fed rifle if for no other reason than to avoid being disappointed in their performance on the qualifier. Leave the challenge of running a bolt-action on the qualifier for after they have aced it with a semi-auto magazine-fed rifle. Keeping a positive attitude while learning is paramount.

We have unfortunately already sold out the May 4-5 Rifle 125 down in Bedford, IN or that would be an IDEAL introduction for your son to 3-position rifle marksmanship as there will be quite a few members of a Boy Scout troop attending that course. We have another Rifle 125 in Bedford, IN on Sept. 21-22: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-sept-21-22-bedford-in/

I would also second TJ's recommendation of having your ex-wife join us at the April 13th Ladies Only Pistol 100 course: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-apr-13-indianapolis-in/. The worst that would happen is that she learns how to use a pistol safely should she ever need to (you never know what situation you will be thrown into in the future). Taking the course does NOT mean she needs to go out and buy a firearm; we have loaner pistols should she prefer to borrow a firearm. As firearms enthusiasts, it is a win for our side just to expose those that are anti-gun to what it means to have the knowledge and skill to SAFELY handle a firearm. That is valuable knowledge regardless of whether one actually owns a firearm or not.

Finally, I would encourage you to sign-up for the Revere's Riders "Upcoming Events" email newsletter by going to the Revere's Riders website (https://www.reveresriders.org) and filling out the form in the site footer. You will get weekly general news announcements (including special offers) plus notifications of upcoming events in whatever state or states you select.

Feel free to PM, email or post in this thread with any further questions you might have. All of our volunteers are more than willing to answer your questions and help out in any way we can.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    fyi
    project appleseed has groupon coupons for a discount on their events. there is an event may 4-5 in shelby indiana but that may be a bit too nw for you.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    fyi
    project appleseed has groupon coupons for a discount on their events. there is an event may 4-5 in shelby indiana but that may be a bit too nw for you.

I might do that one. I'm off and it's between that and a dual sport ride in Iowa. I can't decide which I'd rather do.

I didn't see the RR event that weekend until I saw it mentioned above. It's a lot farther away, but I don't know if it would be any better than the Appleseed just south of Crown Point.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I might do that one. I'm off and it's between that and a dual sport ride in Iowa. I can't decide which I'd rather do.

I didn't see the RR event that weekend until I saw it mentioned above. It's a lot farther away, but I don't know if it would be any better than the Appleseed just south of Crown Point.

Hey Gabriel, does Indiana have good places to dual sport ride?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Top Bottom