recommendations for budget .223 bolt action rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I'm looking to divorce my .22lr bolt action and just go with all .223s.

Are there any recommendations for a plinker in .223, that could still be accurate out to (and beyond) 300 yards?

Since it will be replacing a Savage Mk II it doesn't have to be any great shakes. I would like a threaded barrel if possible, and/or sights and tapped for a scope.

I know .308 would probably be a better choice, but I am trying to stick with as few calibers as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    • Howa 1500
    • Savage 10 series
    • Remington 700
    • Ruger M77

All sub-$600, especially used. This is the 'cheap' level. Budget (super cheap) is the $300 club like the Savage Axis, Mossberg ATR, etc. Not many of those are made in short actions, though.

Top and bottom targets here are from my stock Howa 1500 @ 100 yards chambered in .223 rem. This is the first time I've ever shot the rifle, just sighted it in today, and I'm not much of a good shot. So averaging ~1.2 MOA for a poor shooter on the first outing, I'd say the rifle does its job well enough.

This is the rifle, Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 scope: http://i.imgur.com/ztx3mea.jpg

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    May help if you give your definition of cheap. The savage axis you can pick up for under $300 with out a scope but no threaded barrel. Can pick one up with scope, just a Bushnell banner I believe 3-9x40, for under $350. Also the rem 700 is a great riffle with tons of support in accessories and can be had under $700 for a few different variations.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Stevens Model 200. It's made by Savage with a cheap stock. A little expanding phone takes the hollowness away. Add a little wieght and your GTG.

:yesway: for the Stevens 200. I put mine in a Choate Tactical stock, Vortex 4-12 scope, Burris Xtreme rings, UTG bipod. I just wanted a budget bolt plinker.

You can get it for your target price and can upgrade stock later.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would go with the Mossberg. I have owned both a Savage Axis and the Mossberg 100ATR. The Mossberg hands down is a better rifle. The trigger on the Axis is long and gritty. The trigger on the Mossberg is short and crisp. Yes, you can get the 100ATR in short action. With my reloads, I was shooting 1/4"-1/2" groups at 100 yards with the Mossberg. No need to change anything, good to go out of the box.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Stevens Model 200. It's made by Savage with a cheap stock. A little expanding phone takes the hollowness away. Add a little wieght and your GTG.

Go with one of these. I have one and it shoots very well for a budget rifle. There is one in the classifieds right now.......

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Go with one of these. I have one and it shoots very well for a budget rifle. There is one in the classifieds right now.......

Shhhhhh...... I've been thinking about making him an offer and I don't appreciate you coming in here advertising someone's ad while I'm busy thinking about making an offer. :draw:

Seriously, I've been thinking about it though. Seems to be. Decent looking rifle and it's not far from me but Im not sure the value is there for me. It's a good deal though, just not sure if I'm wanting to come out of pocket.

kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    not cheap...but heres mine

Rem 700 - $625
    B&C Tactical Lite Stock - $225
    Badger Bolt Knob - $100 installed
    Rock Mount Bipod - $50
    DNZ Game Reaper Xtra Low 1-inch Base/Ring Combo - $60
    Nikon M223 3x9 - $420
    Karsten Cheek - $60

Please dont forward this on to my wife!!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Mossberg MVP 24" $654.00
    Sightmark 8.5 X 25 50mm $219.00

That is economic long range .223 / 5.56 shooting.

And it takes ar mags.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I own an Axis and I like it just fine.... however, at Walmart you can get Savage 10's and Remington 700's for like the $450 range I think?

For an extra hundred bucks... you could get a rifle you can mod any way you want.

Just a thought

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whichever direction you choose for your platform, don't forget to budget in some quality glass!

(Note, I said quality glass, not expensive glass. They're not always the same)

-J-

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    I'll throw in another vote for the Savage Axis, but with a caveat or two. For the money the Axis is one of the most accurate rifles out there. I've read several threads on the Savage Forum where target shooters are buying Axis for the receiver, because it's very strong and very stiff. Also, the bolt heads, and barrels can be interchanged with almost all Savage barrels.

Down falls... The factory trigger is junk. But, it is easy to adjust by modding (several videos online) and there are a couple of after market triggers offered too. Biggest down fall, is the cheap plastic flexing stock. And, sadly as of now, nobody offers a good aftermarket replacement. The factory stock uses a removable recoil lug, and it complicates fitting a different stock to the rifle action.

Having said all that... I've got less then 350 dollars in my Axis, and scope, and out of the box (horrible trigger and all) it shot sub MOA at 100 yards. It's not for everyone, but it's a fine shooter for the money. Plus it's available in a Left handed version. Mine is a .223 Rem too.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    It will run a little more than your $350 price point, but if you can find a Savage Model 10 Hog Hunter you can get most of what you were wanting. My 308 was right a $400 new last year, but the price may have gone up some.

Outside of the Hog Hunter, a Ruger American Compact or Savage Axis could make good choices.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    aside from the stock being a little flimsy in the fore end the axis is a great rifle. Like said the hard and grainy pull of the trigger can be fixed with a quick polish and a snip of a spring. My vote goes to it.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Savage Axis-another vote.Mine is a tack driver-scope good (for a $350 rifle-)smooth action-wife loves to shoot it almost as much as the AR. Only drawback I can think of-trigger a little heavy and "notchy"-needs more break-in time probably. I wouldn't sell it back for what I gave-great shooter.

Top Bottom