• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I want to take my son hog hunting. What recommendations do you have for a reasonably priced hunt within driving distance (5-10 Hrs) of Indianapolis? Unfortunately cost is a definite consideration. I don't need luxury just a good chance to bag a couple of hogs with my boy.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just got back from Texas, a bit further than your 5-10 hour distance, but it was full of hogs and the price was right. You're limiting yourself a lot with your distance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall there is a canned hunting area in MO that is pretty awesome. I cant find the thread here but the OP mentioned your price includes a cooler full of butchered goodness. (you shoot it, they snag it, dress it and butcher it for you)

Hopefully somebody else here recalls where that was. And I think they had other game available too.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Any [place it is warmer than here, even south IN has them now. Hard to say where an organized hunt would be had. Back when I was a lad I was all set up to go to Arkansas but that was a while back. Other guy backed out and that ended it for me. Hoping to give it another try soon but that is still up in the air. :dunno:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are several large pieces of public land in East Texas that you can get to in 10-12 hours with good populations of hogs. An annual public land hunting permit is $48 and a non-resident exotic hunting license is $85. The TDPW website has downloadable information booklets for the public lands open to hunting so you can easily do your research. You can also apply for limited draw hunts for other public properties but the deadline is approaching soon.

There are several fenced operations that hunt hogs in Tennessee as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a couple of buds that have shot pigs w bow down in Tennessee.
    Loshbough and Caryonah.
    They said it was fun, and each has been a repeat customer.

I keep wondering if it'd be a fun Feb/March get away for a weekend deal.

Another big name place, I've seen pics from some "hunts". It's more like walking through a exotic farm..
    I don't understand that.

Have been super skeptical for years due to the hype put forth by some questionable hunters (ability/understanding).
    One taxidermist I know was all about it, and indeed he killed stuff that made for neat mounts...........

but Gold Medal this, and Gold Medal that...............when it's like Jihad at the petting zoo..............yeah whatever.

Saw a place up north, good looking Russian type boar, cool small cabins...........Canada feel..................place was 100 acres.

Do understand the business aspect, of having folks see critters, get shots, do their thing in a day or two and leave, in comes the next customer.
    But IMHO much of it geared to the lesser abilities.

Too bad we can't buy pigs like we could.............I know of one bowhunter that bought Russian boar, turned them loose on his farm, for a canned hunt.
    Couple hundred acres, they had a "sign up" and payment deal, then placed an order for the livestock.

IIRC it was off season "something to do" and a success (trad gear only).

Now it's against the law to ship piggies and the one place in Illinois that had em I think is out of business.
    Been years since I last checked.

So...................yeah, a canned hunt, but on bigger ground and offering some semblance of sport............intrigues me. Many hours on the web and I have yet to find what I seek.

Last edited:

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Thank you gentlmen. I have looked at adds in Georgia and Arkansas and looked at lots of adds in Texas. As usual time and money are limited (hate that). Keep the info coming.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thank you gentlmen. I have looked at adds in Georgia and Arkansas and looked at lots of adds in Texas. As usual time and money are limited (hate that). Keep the info coming.

Texas Limited Public hunting Opportunities by Drawing - Most limited drawing hunts put you in a compartment by yourself and being a drawn hunt, hunting pressure is limited.

Walk in Hunts Public Hunts- Click on the tab to download the map and information booklet, the Pineywoods region is the region you would want for the closest hunts. I've hunted White Oak Creek, though it was a limited draw hunt at the time, and killed 6 hogs in 5 days. My buddy killed 7 and we both could have killed more.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Brother in-law goes to a place in Missouri.

I hit a place in Crossville Tennessee that was decent and Okeechobee Florida.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Any info on these places you can provide so I can look them up?

Place in TN was Loshbough Hunting Range

Not sure name of place in Missouri

Little Lake Lodge was the FL hunt

So far I liked FL hunt the best. Neat to ride on swamp buggy and work the dogs. After the hunt looked up an air boat guide. Good times!

zclevenger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Rochester
    I have been to Wilderness hunting lodge. It has been about 10 years ago and it was a great experience for a high fence hunt. It was very confortable with 3 good meals a day. I was 13 when I went with my dad and we had a good time bowhunting. My recommendation if you choose to go here is to spend the first day hiking and taking pictures of all the different game animals. I personally would only hunt hogs here, but it was awesome to see elk within 30 yards. I'm not big on high fence hunting but if I were to go again it would be here.

Top Bottom