Recommendations for Registrar & email hosting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Dealing with godaddy & their office 365 is pulling the sanity out of me.

(I had a thread about this early this year but understand things change rapidly so thought I would start a new thread)

I am not an IT guy or tech expert, I have had email hosting through godaddy for years & they have continually dropped things that were included & started charging for them.

The scan to email feature on my (admittedly older) Bizhub C-450 machine no longer works because of their new email settings but I hate to spend several grand on what is otherwise a great functioning machine.

Now I am having trouble sending emails through windows live mail & have to login directly to send to some email addresses. Getting a bounceback;

"Your message contains invalid characters (bare line feed characters) which the recipients' email servers at ________ don't support."

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    DNS Registrar: https://freedns.afraid.org/

Not sure about email, I either use my own secure smtp mail server (postfix) or comcast or my throwaway gmail account.
    otherwise gmail may be your best option.

If the sender is using a device like a fax machine, printer, or scanner, it's likely an older model that doesn't support the SMTP protocol BDAT command. To fix this error, you'll need to replace the device with a newer model that supports the BDAT command. The industry standard recommendation to support SMTP chunking was published in 1998 so most devices manufactured during the last decade support this feature.
    Check to see if there are any firmware updates to your printer/scanner. Also check for a driver update, seems those get firmware upgrades via the drivers.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    GoDaddy just makes it relatively 1d10t proof for non-techies. They don't so anything special other than supply easy to use tools to get/update domains, generate SSL certs and such for inflated prices.

There are better alternatives for those with a little web knowledge.

I will never 'cede my data to any cloud service ever. One of the reasons I won't use ring, nest etc. because they own your data. But I know the simplicity they provide makes most of the buying public gobble these service up. They routinely release personal security video without owners consent not to mention when you type in your homes wifi password into their app, you're basically giving a 3rd party the keys to access your home network.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    GoDaddy just makes it relatively 1d10t proof for non-techies. They don't so anything special other than supply easy to use tools to get/update domains, generate SSL certs and such for inflated prices.

There are better alternatives for those with a little web knowledge.
    That seems to be changing, I have had to make multiple changes in my email settings & other things that are close to being out of my scope of ability.

I have been using Windows Live Mail.

I am thinking about trying to transition to Windows 10 mail, however can't find an import feature to bring in my various email accounts, emails & contacts (sorted in various folders, etc).

I also have Outlook 2010, not sure that it would be an improvement.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Mozilla Thunderbird works really well for me, gets regular bug fixes, security updates and performance fixes. Supports almost every format there is.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks, I saw it pop up as suggestions when I was doing some searching on how to migrate. To me it is amazing that microsoft doesn't have a simple migration tool, on the other hand they probably want people to buy upgraded products & services.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I always recommend Midwest Internet (www.mw.net) for hosting, it is a local Indiana company, small company with really good support. they don't do domain registrations, so for that I use Namecheap.

Depending on what you need, you can get away with as low as $10 per month, maybe as high as $40 per month.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Mozilla Thunderbird works really well for me, gets regular bug fixes, security updates and performance fixes. Supports almost every format there is.

I love Thunderbird on Linux. I use it on Windows too, for the versatility and security, and simply because it's what I've been using for 10 years or so, but on Windows, it's a resource hog.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have several emails based on domains I own for 2 businesses & some personal email. Using an isp for email hasn't been an option for me for years, I don't want to be married to an email that I don't own.

I downloaded Thunderbird, will probably work on that next week. Been busy & taking a break from things that have tested my patience.

Top Bottom