• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking for some no- or low-thirst survival bars for my bag. I like the freeze dried meals, but I don't like that they typically require boiling water. Want something completely self contained and ready to roll for times when boiling water is not an option. More than a snack bar, however. I've seen some low thirst bars with 5 year shelf life, anyone have any insight into these or other options?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you're concerned about actual thirst (as in needing more water) as opposed to feeling thirsty, then avoid anything with a lot of protein.

Of the big three emergency ration bars, SOS brand is by the best tasting. By far. Datrex and Mainstay are a distant tie for last. SOS actually tastes good, like a coconuty cookie. Datrex is incredibly dry in taste and texture, so it will actually make you thirstier even though they claim otherwise. Mainstay is pretty much like eating a block of sugar with a slight lemon taste.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you don't want to have to boil water for your meals, buy MREs. They come with their own heaters - just add a little water (couple ounces) and stick the MRE entree packet inside for a couple minutes. Yes, the drawback is that they are bulky.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I second the SOS bars wholeheartedly. They also make Millennium bars, which are kind of flavored, but they taste like the regular SOS bar. They're inexpensive, good calories, and they taste good. Perfect for a short tern solution. You can survive on three bars a day.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm going to try all three bars but sounds like SOS will get the nod. Ideally I'll like the taste of them because I already like the shelf life.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    timthumb.php

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I personally like power bars. They hold up, do fine past their expiration date and nice and flat so I can tuck them close to my body on cold days. Not so specialized I won't use them during my normal hunting and fishing activities.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I personally like power bars. They hold up, do fine past their expiration date and nice and flat so I can tuck them close to my body on cold days. Not so specialized I won't use them during my normal hunting and fishing activities.

How do they hold up in a vehicle in hot weather? Can you get them without a significant amount of protein?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have had them in the trucks from Indiana summers to Wisconsin winters. They might shape shift a little from heat and at -30 i prefer to warm them up first but none made me sick or broke out of their wrappers. I am not sure about options, I typically buy them in a box of 20 when they go on sale. Usually around this time of year. I am guessing summer is their big season.

I also keep them in a large mil spec box with a bunch of mountain house. I pulled those out and ate them this year. Major expired. No problem for the Zoub.

Their product I didn't like for vehicle storage was their gels. That was like 2005-08 time frame. Fail on taste and packaging.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have had them in the trucks from Indiana summers to Wisconsin winters. They might shape shift a little from heat and at -30 i prefer to warm them up first but none made me sick or broke out of their wrappers. I am not sure about options, I typically buy them in a box of 20 when they go on sale. Usually around this time of year. I am guessing summer is their big season.

They probably taste good too.

I was asking because he was asking for emergency rations that require less water intake, thus low protein. The ration bars also tolerate heat and cold pretty well since there is nothing to melt or freeze that will change them much. Since I'm diabetic, they're not the best choice for me even for emergencies since they're almost all carbs. I'll go with more protein and swipe someone else's water. Heh.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah, I started with all of this 10 years ago when a family member was diagnosed type 1. For me water is always present. I use a small, clear sealine bag as a truck and camp snacks bag. It's waterproof but I can see what is in it. In winter I often toss in some individual drink powders too like hot chocolate and crystal light. Then candy and carb stuff too.

The small 5 liter one
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/dry-bags/ecosee-bag/product

Which by the way, there are a lot of ways you can use that bag!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    On a related note, do you have a plan for insulin if the normal supply train is disrupted?
    I do but you just hit my major nerve. To say my Ex and I are not on the same page is an understatement. It was easier at first when our Daughter lived with me. When that changed my efforts were thwarted at first.

What I found was the Docs understand this and will pad the scripts some. Then do the meds by mail or be like clockwork every month at the pharmacy. Won't take long to get 3-12 months ahead.

Docs will also write one time scripts so you can go buy, out of pocket, a reserve supply for the second parent/home.

Some forms of insulin don't even require a scrip and are cheap at Wal-Mart.

Next, if SHTF localized, money to send Daughter out of country. She is also multilingual.

Can I make it from Sheep guts? No.

Top Bottom