• Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Remington 700 5r

Regardless of what people with low end Remington’s say about their poor quality, their higher end guns (like the 5r, police, sendero, etc...) are excellent.

This. 700P vote here. With 40X trigger. Yes. You can get them that way, from the factory. Outstanding

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    As of right now I think I've settled on my setup.

Bergara HMR in 308
    Seekins 20MOA Scope Base
    Harris 6-9 Swivel Bipod
    Primary Arms 4-14 Rgrid FFP
    Midwest Ind Muzzle Brake

I do reload so I plan on finding what weight bullet works best with the particular gun I get.
    And yes I do plan on a different optic at some point. I have the Primary Arms laying around so I'm going to use it for now. Maybe I'll get a Vortex Viper when AA Optics has another sale.

Quick question about rings... The Primary Arms scopes objective is 44mm. Should I go with low or medium height rings. I'm going with the vortex matched ring set.

good choice. im sure you will be happy with this build. love the factory stock that these come with.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It all comes down to the deal one can get, of course. I got my Savage 10 FLCP-SR for $429, including rebate. I think it’ll be pretty hard to beat that for value.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Let me guess, you'd start out with one of those awesome new Remingtons where only 60% of the lug contacts the raceway

I don't recall mentioning them in this thread.

What is your process for measuring bolt lug to raceway engagement? Having never seen it done I am curious and also of the correlation between lug-to-raceway contact and performance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't recall mentioning them in this thread.

What is your process for measuring bolt lug to raceway engagement? Having never seen it done I am curious and also of the correlation between lug-to-raceway contact and performance.

:popcorn:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'm on the edge of my seat as well. A man should always be open to learning.

Am I being presumptuous that the engagement cited was between the bolt's lugs and the raceway? Possibly, but fortune favors the bold.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What is this about bolt lugs and raceways? Isn’t accuracy going to be more controled by locking lug engagement than anything to do with raceways? Am I missing something?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oh, and for the guy talking about Remington bolt lugs having low contact, here's the locking lug contact on my 700p bolt.....buy a quality version instead of the bottom of the barrel sps. Below is my 700p locking lugs. These were not lapped. The gun is factory and unmodified. You can see the lug contact is the shiny part on the lugs. EXCELLENT lock up. Buy a quality version (700p, 5r, Sendero, etc...). They are not the same as an sps no matter how much everyone wants them to be.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Heres what I ended up with! Sorry for the crappy pic, cant seem to get it rotated. I'll get better pics on Friday when I go to Atterbury on Friday.

Bergara HMR in 308
    EGW 20 MOA Base
    Warne Fixed Low Rings
    Harris 6-9 Notched Swivel Bipod
    Primary Arms 4-14 Rgrid
    Midwest Muzzle Brake
    Vortex Scope Level

I'll be using Wnchester Factory 150gr Power Point to zero the rifle and brake it in. I also have some handloads that I'm going to ladder test at 100 yards to get a baseline and velocity. I'm using 178gr Hornady ELD Match and ELD X over CFE223.
    I've heard good things running CFE223 in 20" barrels due to the burn rate so we'll see how it fairs. Ill update this when I get back from the range on Friday.

Unfortunely I won't be able to stretch its legs until mid January when I can get to my familys farm. Then I should be able to get to 700. We'll see.

212blt1.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I recently purchased a Tikka T3X in .308. I couldn't be more happy with the rifle, it was MOA right out of the box using Hornady SST 150gr. I love the smooth action and for a factory trigger I was pleased and surprised at how crisp and clean it breaks. Matter of fact, I liked it so much that I just purchased another Tikka T3X varmint model in 22-250 that will be set up for coyote hunting. For hunting purposes the Tikka rifles are all I/you need to get the job done. :twocents:

S1VQZqw.jpg

Note: Scope is a Vortex Viper HS (4 x 16-50mm)

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope. The issues others have had on other forums was low engagement percentage of the locking lugs. I'm assuming he was confused.....so I posted what's actually relevant.

From my personal experience, I haven't seen the issues with low percentage engagement of the locking lugs on the higher end Remington 700s. Buy cheap ****, get cheap ****. I won't buy another low end R700. The higher end ones are built to a higher standard.

Don't see evidence of raceway contact in that pic, can you post an underside or side angle?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh, and for the guy talking about Remington bolt lugs having low contact, here's the locking lug contact on my 700p bolt.....buy a quality version instead of the bottom of the barrel sps. Below is my 700p locking lugs. These were not lapped. The gun is factory and unmodified. You can see the lug contact is the shiny part on the lugs. EXCELLENT lock up. Buy a quality version (700p, 5r, Sendero, etc...). They are not the same as an sps no matter how much everyone wants them to be.

Ehm. You do know that they aren't sorting actions at the factory, right? Your words make it sound like you think your action is special.

Except maybe MAYBE for the custom shop actions (which they more likely just true up in-house), Big Green grabs an action, throws it in line for an SPS, then the next one goes to an LTR.

And anymore, they are all fairly straight, at least relative to where they once were.

-Nate

Top Bottom