• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, I've been enjoying shooting my 22LR, but I bought it with the goal of working up (or out as the case may be), and I'm ready to start taking those steps. Here are my requirements/preferences, let me know your recommendations.

No hunting, target shooting only. Ideally would like to work up/out to 450 yards (this us the furthest distance I can find to shoot on the property of people I know). New or used is fine, $400+/- budget for bare rifle. Bolt action only (totally a personal preference). Ammo readily available locally retail, I don't reload. Needs to be of appropriate size for me (I'm 6'-4", and struggle with my Ruger bolt 22LR). I shoot for enjoyment, not for competition, so something I can shoot comfortably and not be sore at the end of the day. Availability of aftermarket parts if I want upgrades.

Would be nice:

Available in OD Green stock (match my 22LR). Threaded barrel. I have been looking at the Ruger American Predator line, but I don't want to overlook something that may be a better fit/value.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Savage Hog Hunter line can be found on GB for about $400-450. This is minus shipping and transfer though. Most of the ones I looked at had OD stocks. Either 223 or 308 will get you there. Also has a threaded barrel.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm a pretty big Savage fan, I've had very good luck with their rifles and the common consensus on here is that they are the best value for accuracy out of the box.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    my thoughts on this is stay with 223 just because the cost of the components and ammo are going to be the lowest, even top end 223 ammo is less than good 308 ammo. and if you get into reloading the same applies

Also if you go with a rem 700 actions there are more doo dads and upgrades available at good prices than I can count

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    There are about a gazillion accessories for the R700, so you could definitely pretty her up later down the line. Probably could change out the bottom metal to take detachable mags too but don't quote me on that as I am not a R700 expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I just watch a video on it, and was checking pricing, looks like about $150 (plus stock cost) to swap from ADL to BDL, and that opens the door for all the different upgrades. Still, I think the ADL would be good to start with, then I'll do the conversion and stock swap first.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Another option for you would be the Mossberg MVP series. 5.56 bolt action, takes AR mags and it's fun to shoot. You can also get it in OD Green.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Lots of good choices. My advice is to go out and shoulder as many as you can and see what fits you best before you order something only to find the stock is too short, doesn't balance well, or whatever and you're disappointed in it. I'd also avoid the combos, like the RK 700, as most of the scopes are flat junk. Save a few $ by getting a bare rifle and put the savings into a good scope.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    There is a thread on here about the savage 12sv. $419 at Cabelas with a $100 rebate. Pick your caliber. .223 or 308 will get you to 450yds. With .223 being easy and cheap to shoot.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I ended up getting the Howa 1500 that was here in the classifieds. It'll be next week (at the earliest) before I can get a silver scope for it (come on, I can't put a black scope on a stainless barrel after all). I've found quite a few after market parts for it, though the more I hold the solid wood stock, the more I'm liking it, so that'll probably stay. Just need to find myself a good place outdoors I can go and shoot.

Top Bottom