• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for .223 or 5.56 defense rounds? Was looking at the hornaday tap fdp. Not sure if that's a good round or not. Would also like to be able to find the ammo in the Indianapolis area instead of having it shipped. Thanks!

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    For in home use or SHTF stockpile? I stock XM855.

I am assuming from the post that your rifle is chambered for 5.56. I believe the Hornady TAP FDP is only available in .223 55 and 75 GR. Because of the cost of personal defense ammunition, most people do not cycle very many rounds their firearms, so when the SHTF, they do not know how the firearm will react with the ammunition.

I would also recommend the XM855 for both the range and when the SHTF. You can find a 420 round can at Gander Mountain in Greenwood for $229 on sale or $249 normally Federal XM855F 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Gr. FMJ Ammo Can-611302 - Gander Mountain or you can find it at Midway USA Federal Ammo 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain XM855 SS109 Penetrator Full Metal for $179 plus shipping which is less then $14 to Indianapolis .

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    sca, you won't have any problem using .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle, it's the other way around. 5.56nato, while dimensionally the same as .223, has thicker case walls and you can get higher than normal pressure using it in a barrel rated for .223.
    For general HD I think a light weight (40-50gr) HP would be ideal. As for a SHTF stockpile, I think quantity is more important. Mine is mostly 55grFMJ but I also have some XM855 set aside for 'hard' targets along with some 62gr MSR for precision shots at longer range. IIRC, hornady TAP is designed for LE 'tactical' use and is made to have both effective 'terminal ballistics' and minimized penetration of walls etc so it should work fine for HD
    As has already been said, go to the range to 'sight in'.

Top Bottom