Recommended Campgrounds in Michigan or Ohio???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So....we took a 2 week family vacation in June before our son heads off on his own to make some life long memories. We pulled our small travel trailer with us through 8 states and keep moving every 2-3 days...3,800 miles in total. I can say we accomplished the memory goal, albeit some of those memories were unplanned & unpleasant.

Let's just say that once we were home we needed a vacation from our vacation. Part of our motivation to travel was that we have been to most of the Indiana state parks several times and we wanted to do something new...have some new experiences.

So we are looking for some new family friendly campgrounds that are closer and we can spend more time at (less setup / tear down time...more fun). We were thinking of keeping things to a 4-5 hour "towing a camper" drive from the Fort Wayne area (that usually equates to a 3-4 hour drive in a car).

Oddly enough, even though we live near Ft. Wayne, and only 6 miles from Ohio. We have not explored Ohio campgrounds much at all. We thought about camping around the Celina reservoir once, but when we realized how polluted it is and that you should not swim or fish in it, that idea was thrown out pretty quickly.

I have heard good things about Sauder Village in Archbold OH, so we have added that to our list. My wife is checking out a campground near Van Wert, OH that a friend recommended. So far, that is all we got.

So INGO....what campgrounds in Michigan or Ohio would you recommend that would be within our driving range?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Sleepy bear is maybe 5-6 hour out in MI from the fort. North of holland.
    We may keep that one in reserve. We actually live about 40 min south east of Fort Wayne, but few seem to know where Adams County is located. So I usually refer to Ft Wayne.

That makes it closer to a 6-7 hour drive by the time we drive around Ft Wayne. I'm not sure we will be going that far any more this year.

It will be next year before we go on a long trip with the camper again.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Old Man's Cave State Park
    Mohican State Park
    Both in Ohio
    Shades State Park, Indiana
    I didn't know that Shades had electric camping. Last I knew, it was primitive only. Must have been longer than I thought since we've been down there.

We've been to Turkey Run many times and drove over to Shades to hike. There is great hiking there. It's our favorite area in Indiana.

Sycamore Springs in English is a close 2nd place for us.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I didn't know that Shades had electric camping. Last I knew, it was primitive only. Must have been longer than I thought since we've been down there.

We've been to Turkey Run many times and drove over to Shades to hike. There is great hiking there. It's our favorite area in Indiana.

Sycamore Springs in English is a close 2nd place for us.
    You are correct - no electric at Shades.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Last edited by a moderator:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok. Try it again. I fixed the link.
    I did some more digging, but can only find their facebook page. They must not have a website. I was hoping to see a map of the campground, relation of campsites to the lakes, info on prices, boat rental availability, etc... So many questions!

But, on the bright side, everything I saw about them was just glowing, awesome reviews. That's why I'd like to see more info.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Warren, Van Buren, Holland(right on the beach, or not), Grand Haven. It just keeps getting prettier the further up the west coast you go.
    That's true.

I'd also check out hueston woods. It has a nice lake, nice scenery, and a lovely lodge. The cabins are very comfortable. The campground is more than adequate, but don't take off from the campground on your bicycle if you're a fat old man like me. That climb back up the hill will kill ya!

Also, you might give celina another look. I hear the lake has cleaned up significantly.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did some more digging, but can only find their facebook page. They must not have a website. I was hoping to see a map of the campground, relation of campsites to the lakes, info on prices, boat rental availability, etc... So many questions!

But, on the bright side, everything I saw about them was just glowing, awesome reviews. That's why I'd like to see more info.
    They don't have much of an online presents. I do know the Marina next door rents boats and will drop them off right at the campgrounds docks.

My mom is working on getting the campground map. I'll post that when I get it.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in the western MI area and have been to most of the state parks in that area. Warren Dunes is heavily traveled, but for good reason. Ludington State park is also a big hit. Most of the lakefront state parks are similar, but do your research on timing since flies can be horrible at times.

Top Bottom