• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I'm moving into a new house and will be purchasing my first gun safe. Apart from being tall enough to fit benchrest rifles, what other criteria should I look for in a gun safe?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I can't give a definitive answer to this, I consider electronic locks suspect. They can fail, and the secondary opening procedure requires simply removing the electronic keypad from its proper position and using a key that looks way too simple to be an effective security device, somewhere between the top end of a drill bit for a brace and a skeleton key.

I would definitely recommend getting a very good answer to this before buying one.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Most electronic lock safes can be opened with a thin metal shim. Sliding along the jam until you hit the reset button.

Most stackon electronic lock backup keys are simple wafer locks, which are exactly that, simple.

Get a dial lock. Get something that is either heavy, or very large and looks heavy. Deterrent is the key here. They need to look at it and say, well, screw it.

Either way, large or heavy, anchor it.

Also remember, safes are most definitely like anything else, you get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Watch this video. It's an excellent primer and a good place to start.

[video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8 [/video]

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    With 2.5 million home burglaries per year, when looking for my gun safe #1 criteria was to keep people out. I bought a heavy gauge steel safe, 1/4 steel all sides. I did not feel that fire proof or resistant were a high priority considering there are approximately 350,000 home fires per year. 8 times more likely to be burglarized. All my guns are replaceable and insured, I don't have any with sentimental value or relics. 10 inch solid steel bolts that extend into a reinforced door with a Sargent Greenleaf dial combination lock. Found an old Browning Pro Steel that fit what I wanted on craigslist. A safe will do you no good if a person can pry the door open or chop through the 12 gauge steel and drywall in 5 minutes. A good safe will set you back some bucks but some good used ones can be found. Not everybody can fork out $2000-3000 dollars for a safe, so if $800 is the budget, remember this when your looking, Something is better than nothing.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Buy it bigger than you think you need is my advice. It's like a garage or barn......never big enough.
    I also vote for a combo dial...S&G in particular.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Hearty second for the S&G Dial locks.

When you have figgered out pretty well what you want, I do recommend calling dealers in the area. Sometimes they have demo/used safes, or trade-ins, and will cut you a pretty good cash deal. No BS.

Call Outdoor Sport Shop in Greenwood, to be specific: (317) 881-7446.

-Nate

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am in the same boat. I have been reading up on them here and other forums. Based on what I have been able to find out, I am pretty much sold on Johnson Safe in Zionsville, IN. I met with Jeff at the 1500 and he seemed pretty straight forward and not a BS'er. Just a factual kind of guy. I will be placing my order with him in the next few days. He did tell me that he is booked out until the first of March right now. His contact information is below.

[h=3]Johnson Safe[/h][h=3] 8750 E. 200 S.
    Zionsville, IN 46077
    1-800-969-7993
    317-769-6337
    Fax: 317-876-7233

[FONT=arial, helvetica, freesans, sans-serif] Email: sales@johnsonsafes.net[/FONT]
    [/h]

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A gun safe should be part of a security 'system', think good locks, outside lighting, alarm system, dog (maybe) and OPSEC (very important). Hide the safe in a closet or under a blanket. Don't have it in the main room where everyone can see it. Don't show everyone who comes over what is in it (I've got a friend who likes to show off his 'gun room').

That said, most of the gun safes you will find are UL listed 'residential security containers' that can be opened with a little bit of work (lots of video on Youtube). If I had it to do over I'd look at a real safe TL-15 or TL-30 which are way more money and very heavy.

How much is your collection worth? The cheaper gun safes will keep out the neighborhood crack head but not a determined thief. Then again if someone really wants in the safe all they have to do is put a gun to a loved ones head and I'm pretty sure you will open it.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Ask Jeff Johnson about his "heavy metal" option. He won't push it (or anything else) at you, but my oldest son felt it was worth the extra money and ordered one.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Then again if someone really wants in the safe all they have to do is put a gun to a loved ones head and I'm pretty sure you will open it.

I have a friend who went through a home invasion and he opened the first safe when they put a gun to his wife and kids. He had a second safe that he didn't use because he forgot the combination and ended up drilling into it and getting it open only to show the invaders that he was telling the truth when he said it was empty. It took him a couple of hours to get it open. I could not imagine going through what he went through. He found out later that they were some friends of his wife's (2nd marriage) son who had been in the house a few days before.

Top Bottom