• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Right now, just about anything you can find at a decent price, probably something in Walmarts 100 rd bulk packaged... Your M&P should handle about anything just fine, it'll be up to you to see what if likes best though.

Once things free up, choose something that has similar recoil, bullet weight, and point of aim as your carry ammo, while hopefully still affordable...

Even if you never plan on reloading, collect your cases if brass... Once you get 1k or so collected, you can throw them in the classifieds on here and recover a little of your money back...

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It'll shoot pretty much anything. I haven't had any problems with cheap Winchester 115gr FMJ. Same with Blazer 115gr (aluminum casing). I've found that S&B 124gr FMJ shoots relatively cleanly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agreed, should shoot pretty much anything. I have the VTAC version, but should be the same. Yesterday I shot some 124 grain stuff a buddy reloaded, some 115 grain WWB and some 147 grain American Eagle Federal through mine, all without any issues.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I love the tulammo for range blasting. I don't have to worry about picking up brass and it is relatively cheap to shoot. And as mentioned before, if it won't shoot it, it's Bette to find out early and at the range as opposed to when you need it. That said, with the new gun, buy a variety of ammo if you can find it and see what your personal gun likes to eat. Every one is different.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It was bad but it's getting better. You can find 9mm at pretty much every WalMart right now. You never know what could happen tomorrow so I suggest you start buying asap and continue to replenish as needed.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a new shooter with an M&P 9 and I've shot Winchester White Box, Tulammo BrassMax, Speer Lawman, and Federal, all 115 gr, all with no problems. All of these except the Lawman I purchased at WalMart. I purchased Speer Gold Dot for defensive ammo, but haven't shot it yet.

The guy at the gun shop where I bought the M&P said it'd pretty much shoot anything. So far he's right.

As far as ammo availability goes, it's sort of hit and miss at the WalMart's I go to. If I see it, I buy it. I've amassed maybe 1700 rounds of range ammo and will continue to buy cheap when I see it. You never know when the supply might suddenly dry up.

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Amateur question alert: Does FMJ mean it's steel?

No. FMJ refers to the bullet type: It's a projectile that has a full metal jacket (FMJ) covering it. Steel case refers to the composition of the material that makes up the case of the cartridge. You can have FMJ bullets loaded in both steel and brass case cartridges. and since these bullets are some of the cheapest and most reliable bullets to produce (outside of plating the projectile or using plain lead), they are often the lion's share of what make up the 'plinking' ammo market.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You should pm me and send me your gun and money and I will try different ammo for you and report back.... This may take a couple months for me to be thorough

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The ONLY malfunctions I've ever had with my M&P have been with Brown Bear steel-cased 115gr FMJ. A few different failures to extract with DIRTY pistols.

I believe that it was a build-up of the lacquer coating from the case + the different expansion/contraction characteristics of steel vs. brass that led to a few stuck cases.

Buy & shoot whatever you can. If your gun doesn't "like" a certain ammo - you've just gained yourself some practice at clearing malfunctions.

If it's a defensive gun for carry or for home - buy a quality self defense round, be sure it works in your gun, then stoke the mags with it and know that it'll work fine if/when you need it to.

-J-

Top Bottom