• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boileralum

Marksman
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Not sure if this is totally Appleseed specific, so please forgive me if this should be placed in a different forum. I have read the book 'Paul Revere's Ride' that the history lessons at Appleseeds are based upon. Are there any other books covering the rest of the Revolutionary War that my fellow Riflemen would recommend reading? Trying to avoid anything with a modern political slant, but want something that isn't tainted by 2 centuries of educational system bias, either.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    I have not read these but they come recommended to me by a Man I met at an Appleseed shooting event last April. The Author is Jeff Sharaa. 2 books about the preceding events of the Revolution. "Rise To Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause."

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    The Boston Campaign. Washington's Crossing. Rebels and Redcoats. The Day Is Ours

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Rifle Marksmanship by Peter Lessler. Great, relatively inexpensive book that covers a great deal of the "nuts and bolts" of rifle mshooting that you get practical spoonefeeding on at an Appleseed. None of the politics of 1775/1776.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Minute Men. By John R. Galvin
    Myths and Realities of the American Revolution.

This book tells the story of America's first soldiers, starting over one hundred years before the revolution.

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    Paul Revere's Ride was a good book! I'd recommend it to anyone who comes to this thread... I'll have to check out some of these others.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I highly recommend Alan Eckerts Winning of America series.

Six or seven volumes not all connected directly with the revolution but good stuff about the birth of the country.

Don't bother with his last couple of rewrites. He went pc and the whole slant of the later books changed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I highly recommend Alan Eckerts Winning of America series.

Six or seven volumes not all connected directly with the revolution but good stuff about the birth of the country.

Don't bother with his last couple of rewrites. He went pc and the whole slant of the later books changed.

I am reading Twilight of Empire right now. Fascinating that Zachary Taylor, Abraham Lincoln, and Jefferson Davis all served together inn 1832 in the Blackhawk war in NW Illinois. Off topic I know, but I agree about the series. They are a manual for re-enactors.

Top Bottom