• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For me, I prefer this combo. LOVE them. I can wear them all day with little fatigue. (I did upgrade to gel ear seals)

Peltor Tactical Sport
    http://peltorcomms.3m.com/Americas/Product.asp?PageNumber=1016&Product_Id=403&ProductCategory_Id=39

ESS Suppressor. (they are specifically designed for over the ear muffs)
    Suppressor - ESS Products - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

The Howard Leight seems to be the most popular, but they are not as nice as the Peltors. The difference between the Peltors and the HLs is that my Peltors compress loud noises and makes them quieter. So on an outdoor range you can still hold conversations and hear the instructor talking. (this feature is almost useless on a busy indoor range) The cheaper HLs clip the audio and turn the speakers off when it gets too loud.

So if you shoot almost exclusively indoor, the Howards may be your better option. But if you shoot outdoor, look for something that uses compression instead of cutting off the output.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Budget minded: Jackson Nemesis eyepro and Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro
    High Dollar: Smith Elite Optics and MSA (you pick the model/ style).
    Oakley is good too. One thing to consider. Pick your earpro BEFORE you pick your eyepro.
    Reason being:
    example: Jackson Nemesis (my every day wear because they're $5-$6 per pair). Their ear pieces have a triangular cross section. This interferes with some muffs when worn together because the muffs have to sit over the ear pieces. It can be uncomfortable and/or cause an air gap which causes SLIGHT reduction in hearing protection.
    Two solutions:
    1.) Find eyepro that has ear pieces that can be swapped off for a head strap (I have nice Peltor eyepro with clear/amber/smoke swapable lenses that do this).
    2,) Find eyepro that has FLAT ear pieces (3M I know for sure makes quality ones that do).

Above all, make sure the fitment is correct. "They" make eyepro and earpro for all different head/face sizes and shapes. Hearing damage is practically irreparable. Eye trauma repair is EXTREMELY expensive. Treat this like something WILL attack your eyes and ears, not like something MIGHT. Tinnitus and legal blindness are NO JOKE (first hand experience). Cuts and breaks heal. Sight and hearing loss can't. Don't wanna harp on you or rant, but having LIVED it, I would not wish either on anyone, especially a child.

Also, I see you're in Plainfield. Praxair on Polco Street in Indy sells Jackson if you wanna try them on. My kids wear Crossfire Sniper eyepro. It fits their 5-9 year old faces fairly well. They use foam ear plugs (33NRR). Make sure if you use plugs or non-noise canceling muffs the NRR you're reading and expecting is for impulse noise (gunfire) and not constant decibel levels (workplace noise).

Wishing you all the best in the new year. Be careful. Have fun.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I guess I answered before I realized the crap that would be recommended! MSA/Sordins for ear pro,Oakley for eye pro! Yes, they ARE expensive, but, they effin work! You only get two eyes, and two ears when you en5er the world, so go out with them! MSA beats Howard Leight everyday, hands down! Oakley, beats them ALL with 100% optical clarity, and ANSI ratings on everything they sell! You spent a few hundred on firearms and ammo, spend the money on QUALITY protection as well! I'm sure this will ruffle the fea5hers of the Walmart/Howard Leight crowd, but it is what it is!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I guess I answered before I realized the crap that would be recommended! MSA/Sordins for ear pro,Oakley for eye pro! Yes, they ARE expensive, but, they effin work! You only get two eyes, and two ears when you en5er the world, so go out with them! MSA beats Howard Leight everyday, hands down! Oakley, beats them ALL with 100% optical clarity, and ANSI ratings on everything they sell! You spent a few hundred on firearms and ammo, spend the money on QUALITY protection as well! I'm sure this will ruffle the fea5hers of the Walmart/Howard Leight crowd, but it is what it is!

While I agree with you, I'd much rather see a broke person be able to practice safely than see them not practice at all. OP never really indicated a price range so I thought I'd throw out a more budget-conscious option.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    BTW, I'm in Plainfield, you want to compare the MSA's to all the rest, give me a ring! Oakley as well, I'm sitting on at least 10 pair. I also recommend Surefire EP's for ear pro. They only cost $8-15 a pair depending, and do a great job if you don't need to hear an RO.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I agree with you, I'd much rather see a broke person be able to practice safely than see them not practice at all. OP never really indicated a price range so I thought I'd throw out a more budget-conscious option.
    Not saying you weren't helping, I have to get used to the fact that someone, somewhere, will recommend something inferior. MSA's and Oakley aren't for everyone, but they ARE the standard. I digress, and offer, that if you can afford the MSA's and Oakleys, THAT IS WHAT you should INVEST in. If you can't, look at the others mentioned. If you are a veteran, Oakley LOVES YOU WITH DISCOUNTS!!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    When I went to the MSA's it was like a whole new level of comfort and protection. Just sayin...

Yup. The Howard Leight Impact Sports are good value *for the money*. HOWEVER, MSA is... worth the extra.

Oakleys get a lot of attention, but Smith Elite eyepro has superior impact resistance protection. I'll go find the info. IMO Oakley has nice frame designs.
    Liquid eyepro is a neat idea, if you wanna have to form them to your face and have to store a horseshoe in a tube sock essentially (they don't hinge and have a large side profile). Plus being aluminum they get COLD.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Peltor and surefire earplugs for me, and I am in the same camp Vigilant is in, Oakley is awesome for eyepro, now be warned some of their glasses are made in China now so you have to do some research to ensure you are buying an American made set. I have also been known to wear Persol's while outside shooting as well.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have the MSA ears, but I don't have Oakley eye pro. The MSA with the gel inserts are comfortable enough that I wear them all day long while deer hunting.

I went with the ESS crossbow suppressor (I think that's what it is called) eye protection. They fit well with ear protection on and the lenses are quickly interchangeable. They feel like unbranded Oakley
    s. I have clear, amber, and smoke. I think I read somewhere that they come out of the same plant as oakley's. Not saying they are just as good, but I am the last person who pinches pennies, and for the cost, I couldn't justify oakley's over these.

Top Bottom