• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Isn't that kind of old for a recruit?
    And no this isn't an attack on him. Just asking a question as I am genuinely surprised.

Reactions: Leo

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Isn't that kind of old for a recruit?
    And no this isn't an attack on him. Just asking a question as I am genuinely surprised.
    My thoughts as well. A quick check of Johnson County SD and the Richmond PD and Wayne County SD requirements require applicants to be a minimum of 21 years old. None appear to have a maximum age limit.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    To be hired for an agency under the 1977 Police and Fire pension, an applicant has to be between 21 and 40 years old. (It used to be no older than 36 but it has recently been changed. I’m pretty sure it’s 40 now). For other agencies not utilizing the ‘77 fund, an applicant can be of any age determined by the agency and their requirements. The ‘77 fund is utilized by large city agencies, usually numbering over ten officers. It does not cover sheriff’s departments. Most sheriff’s departments use civilian PERF as it’s provided by the state; some larger and more tax-rich SDs use private pensions. I cannot testify as to the pension from JCSD.

When I went through academy, there was a recruit who was just over 60; he was one of the toughest and strongest guys there. He had been a reserve for thirty years while he ran a farming company in Newburgh and had just recently retired and wanted to serve his community full time.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    To be hired for an agency under the 1977 Police and Fire pension, an applicant has to be between 21 and 40 years old. (It used to be no older than 36 but it has recently been changed. I’m pretty sure it’s 40 now). For other agencies not utilizing the ‘77 fund, an applicant can be of any age determined by the agency and their requirements. The ‘77 fund is utilized by large city agencies, usually numbering over ten officers. It does not cover sheriff’s departments. Most sheriff’s department use civilian PERF as it’s provided by the state; some larger and more tax-rich SDs use private pensions. I cannot testify as to the pension from JCSD.

When I went through academy, there was a recruit who was just over 60; he was one of the toughest and strongest guys there. He had been a reserve for thirty years while he ran a farming company in Newburgh and had just recently retired and wanted to serve his community full time.
    How well does the 35-45 crowd generally do? I was thinking about a career change, at least until I jacked my knee up last year. Wondering about the experience versus unlearning bad habits dynamic, compared to the college kids.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How well does the 35-45 crowd generally do? I was thinking about a career change, at least until I jacked my knee up last year. Wondering about the experience versus unlearning bad habits dynamic, compared to the college kids.
    Generally, pretty well. Life experience matters a lot, and is not easily shortcut.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    It’s a kinder, gentler academy than it was two decades ago, and they have restructured a little to better manage time for the recruits. As along as you are in shape enough to pass entry standards, there’s no reason to believe or to not leave in better shape than you started. I sincerely want strong, smart, constitutionally-minded cops out on the street, so I thank anyone who wants to apply and make a difference and serve their community. It’s not the job that is hard, although it obviously can be, it’s the political hamstringing and poor leadership (when it occurs) that turns good cops off and drives them out of the profession.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It’s my understanding the police departments in Indiana you have to be between 21 and 38 at time of hire (Due to the pension fund) but if you are already in a city pension fund, you could be hired if you were over 38 (for example if you worked for the city water/parks/street or similar) by a city police department (more like a transfer between city departments) and I thought even be hired by another city (for example Evansville could hire an IMPD officer)

Sheriffs are not limited to age, and the I thought the state police was 21 minimum but no maximum hire age (but a mandatory retirement at 55)

A few months ago, a vanderburgh county sheriff’s deputy died during hand to hand self defense training at the swilea but an autopsy revealed he had undiagnosed sickle cell anemia.

I need to edit my post, I was wrong they don’t do 5 on 1 hand to hand!

Thanks Opie for correcting me on that!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom