Red Cross in 'Critical' Need of Blood Donations Due to Harsh Winter and Flu.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Used to give blood up until the mid 90's. They started asking the question about being in the UK back in the 80's and possibly being exposed to to Mad Cow Disease. Told them I spent three years there. Was immediately banned for life, from ever being able to give again.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Absolutely. Blood isn't free, only your donation.

Yep, the vampires (phlebotomists) get paid, the drivers (for mobile sites) get paid, the supplies cost, the testing each donation costs, storage, sorting, transporting... I'm sure it all adds up pretty quick.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I believe the Red Cross only charges for processing, at least that's what they used to say many moons ago. Can't speak for the non affiliated blood banks though but I'm sure they aren't doing it out of a concern for the well being of their fellow humans.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Absolutely. Blood isn't free, only your donation.

I get that there's probably a charge...

I believe the Red Cross only charges for processing, at least that's what they used to say many moons ago. Can't speak for the non affiliated blood banks though but I'm sure they aren't doing it out of a concern for the well being of their fellow humans.

But is the Red Cross' markup lower, on par with, or higher than IBC? Because I've *heard* that IBC's markup is insanely high.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Used to giver regularly but now taking aspirin everyday. Don’t really miss it and always joked with them about saving the dull needles for me, she said, she scraped the needles on the sidewalk just for me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I get that there's probably a charge...

But is the Red Cross' markup lower, on par with, or higher than IBC? Because I've *heard* that IBC's markup is insanely high.
    Doesn’t t IBC pay for blood, and Red Cross receives it for free? I’d want a higher markup for bought blood than for donated?

Top Bottom