• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC1711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Auburn
    I have purchased a G48 mos and am planning on adding the Holosun 507K. My question is what iron sights to get for the best co-witness. I am asking what you have all found to be the best set up.
    The 507 is my choice because of the dot/ring set up. like Eotech sights.
    Would like to get your input as to what you have found to work the best. Want to stay towards center of sight with the sight picture if possible.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You do not need to cowitness backup sights to your red dot. In fact, doing that sort of defeats the purpose of having a red dot all together. Using an RDS doesn't require the same multiple focal plane alignment inherent to irons.

Any decent suppressor height iron sights will work as back ups. They're only needed in case the dot goes completely down so should be as unintrusive as possible.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    You do not need to cowitness backup sights to your red dot. In fact, doing that sort of defeats the purpose of having a red dot all together. Using an RDS doesn't require the same multiple focal plane alignment inherent to irons.

Any decent suppressor height iron sights will work as back ups. They're only needed in case the dot goes completely down so should be as unintrusive as possible.

This 100%. You don’t need to cowitness your red dot to irons on a pistol. I prefer backup irons that sit as low in the red dot window as possible.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The idea of co witness exposes the possibility of RDS Failure. Back in the day I remember one scope mount accessory for our Lever Guns. It raised the scope high enough that the shooter could use his irons under the high mounted scope. It was one of this good on paper theories. In fact just like RDS you either use them or you don’t. Going back and forth deliberating which one to use will get you killed while you trying to decide. I shoot a lot of dots however for the games only. No need to cowitness.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am going to totally disagree with the majority of posters here based only on my preferences and opinion.

I go with full heigh absolute cowitnessing of sights & red dot on all my carry guns. I want to know for sure that I will have a back up sight option if I pull my gun and the red dot is not on. Just for redundancy. I never feel like the iron sights get in the way of using the dot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I recommend not doing cowitness until you shoot the dot consistently and comfortably.

Never losing the dot under recoil or on the draw. After you're perfectly comfortable with that and have no problems, buy some suppressor height sights, preferably blank steel sights that won't distract you, and then add them.

If you learn the dot with buis on your gun, you will crutch on the iron sights and never develop the skills you need with the dot to be proficient.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am going to totally disagree with the majority of posters here based only on my preferences and opinion.

I go with full heigh absolute cowitnessing of sights & red dot on all my carry guns. I want to know for sure that I will have a back up sight option if I pull my gun and the red dot is not on. Just for redundancy. I never feel like the iron sights get in the way of using the dot.
    But the two things aren't related. You can have reliable backup sights that are visible in the window without them being co-witnessed to the dot in any way.

They should be zeroed independently of one another.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    rAH4qYQ.jpg

The 507K comes with a rear notch for aiming , it is super low but at least with my P365x it's center of mass at 10 yards if the dot goes down.

If you want to get extra fancy lower 1/3 is the way to go leaving most of the window unobstructed so your focus is on the dot and not the irons.

xTk9pR6.jpg

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I was going to get suppressor sights for my Glock 40 with red dot. Then one day I forgot to turn on the dot and just picked up the gun from the table and did my usual fast 5 shot. I hit the target as usual, as if there was an invisible dot on the target. I guess I got used to the location of the front sight relative to the red dot frame and was able to hold the gun in exactly the same way. So no co-witness for me. Just the plastic Glock sight.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    If the gun can possibly be used for self defense with the insistence of a red dot, I would at least have back up sights.

I have seen numerous chinese optics fail at the range. Many times sub zero weather can keep them from working reliably. There is a reason military or law enforcement doesnt rely on chinese stuff.

I have a Glock G40 with trijicon rmr and would choose something else for self defense situation. Ever use an open red dot in the rain? Ever try going from very cold to a heated warm building with an optic?

Even with aimpoints on my ARs, I like having offset irons.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If the gun can possibly be used for self defense with the insistence of a red dot, I would at least have back up sights.

I have seen numerous chinese optics fail at the range. Many times sub zero weather can keep them from working reliably. There is a reason military or law enforcement doesnt rely on chinese stuff.

I have a Glock G40 with trijicon rmr and would choose something else for self defense situation. Ever use an open red dot in the rain? Ever try going from very cold to a heated warm building with an optic?

Even with aimpoints on my ARs, I like having offset irons.

Aaron is probably the foremost expert on pistol mounted optics and basically the only two brands he recommends are Trijicon and Holosun. Like the place of manufacture or not Holosun puts out a great product with more features at a cheaper price point. Case and point if the RMRcc and 507K were the same price I would still buy the 507k because of how much more I like the sight.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Aaron is probably the foremost expert on pistol mounted optics and basically the only two brands he recommends are Trijicon and Holosun. Like the place of manufacture or not Holosun puts out a great product with more features at a cheaper price point. Case and point if the RMRcc and 507K were the same price I would still buy the 507k because of how much more I like the sight.

The only caution I ever advise people of with holosun is if you have night vision or ever want to get night vision.

Holosun's notch filter does not play nice with night vision, and it's nearly pitch black. Meanwhile trijicon is crystal clear.

Night vision with an optic equipped pistol is a fantastic experience, so it's worth consideration.

I hope one day holosun sorts that issue out, then they'd pretty much be the only thing worth recommending.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

What does sage dynamic recommend for shooting in the rain?

What do they recommend for entering a warm environment from anything below 20 degrees?

Maybe I am just old fashioned? I don't believe weather should stop you. One way or another I am placing shots. Even have backup irons on my Barrett.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What does sage dynamic recommend for shooting in the rain?

What do they recommend for entering a warm environment from anything below 20 degrees?

Maybe I am just old fashioned? I don't believe weather should stop you. One way or another I am placing shots. Even have backup irons on my Barrett.

This is just me, but I would shoot both eyes open like I always do and get my hits regardless. As long as the dot is visible you can make a shot easily. I believe Trijicon called it the Bindon Aiming Concept. Plus if your window is fogged up and you cannot use the Bindon concept how could you see the irons through the glass anyways?

The only caution I ever advise people of with holosun is if you have night vision or ever want to get night vision.

Holosun's notch filter does not play nice with night vision, and it's nearly pitch black. Meanwhile trijicon is crystal clear.

Night vision with an optic equipped pistol is a fantastic experience, so it's worth consideration.

I hope one day holosun sorts that issue out, then they'd pretty much be the only thing worth recommending.

I did not know that about NV use and this is great info thanks!

Top Bottom