• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I carry a M&P core with red dot and I love it. I have had my hands on Canik and I am very impressed especially at their price point I would not hesitate to buy one. Also I am going to throw this out there. I mill slides for red dots :)

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I carry a M&P core with red dot and I love it. I have had my hands on Canik and I am very impressed especially at their price point I would not hesitate to buy one. Also I am going to throw this out there. I mill slides for red dots :)

I might add that if a person has the dough to spend, this will definitely be a better option because milling will get you a tighter and lower fit. Economics was the only reason I went with an MOS gun over getting a standard one milled.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So I am going to assume this is a serious question. I have been carrying a RMR equipped Glock 19 for getting close to 10 years now. You leave it on all of the time. I have never not had the dot on when I needed it. If you go with something other than an RMR all bets are off. I replace my battery once a year

My RMR dual red dot doesn't have batteries. It uses tritium to light the dot @ night and has a light gathering band around the top to power the LED in the daytime.

Yes, it was a serious question. Sorry if it seemed short-sighted.

Thanks for your responses.

Here's the answer.
    If, for whatever reason, you wanted to carry with the dot off you simply press one of the buttons and the dot comes on. It can easily be done through a shirt while holstered.

This is the part that worries me... in a panic situation.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I change My RMR battery once a year. It is on all the time and lasts longer then that

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Really considering dropping my gl32 off to get fitted up for an optic. I had an mos and I really didn't like the adaptor plates, i'd rather just have the dot I like and a specific place to put that dot.

Is the rmr the preferred miniature red dot? How long does the tritium last in the dual powered ones?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Really considering dropping my gl32 off to get fitted up for an optic. I had an mos and I really didn't like the adaptor plates, i'd rather just have the dot I like and a specific place to put that dot.

Is the rmr the preferred miniature red dot? How long does the tritium last in the dual powered ones?

I would be glad to do that for you. RMR is what I cut for most of the time and gen 2 has been flawless. My gen 1 had to be sent in for warranty work a couple times before working perfect but it finally did.
    There are other good ones out there but would compare battery life for use on a carry gun.

I personally dont have any experiance with the dual powered.
    But I'di prefer the RMR with brightness control. My old one had it and my current one doesnt. It hasn't caused my any issues except in low light classes with a flashlight near my head behind the optic.

Naturally the one with brightness control costs more.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Funny you should mention RMR Dual Tritium lifespan. I just sent mine in yesterday. I could still see it in the dark but it didn't pop anymore. I thinkI bought it Jan 2012. The auto-brightness of the fiber optic dot works well unless you and your target are not in similar lighting.

I also have a battery powered one atop my ACOG TA31-ECOS & have changed battery twice in ~7 years.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

The RMR is kind of like the Aimpoint of handgun dots. It's well above the competition in terms of ruggedness and battery life. Another popular dot is the Leupold Delta Point Pro, which many consider to be acceptable for carry. Go on YouTube and you'll find testing by Sage Dynamics and a nice comparison by GarandThumb.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The RMR is kind of like the Aimpoint of handgun dots. It's well above the competition in terms of ruggedness and battery life. Another popular dot is the Leupold Delta Point Pro, which many consider to be acceptable for carry. Go on YouTube and you'll find testing by Sage Dynamics and a nice comparison by GarandThumb.

I'm mainly interested in an rmr or the new aimpoint. leaning towards rmr once I refill the discretionary fund.

Edit, further inspection on the new aimpoint is not promising for concealed at least for me. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal on an rmr then making a trip to avon. This forum is expensive.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm mainly interested in an rmr or the new aimpoint. leaning towards rmr once I refill the discretionary fund.

Edit, further inspection on the new aimpoint is not promising for concealed at least for me. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal on an rmr then making a trip to avon. This forum is expensive.

Not just this forum, this entire hobby. The funny thing is that I used to be into cars when I was in school and got into guns because it was a cheaper thing to enjoy. Then I learned the meanings of the phrases "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once" so now I want to have the best gear I can get, which often just leaves me wanting. I will say it's made me a blood hound for good deals. Unfortunately, my current financial situation forces me to buy only the guns and gear that I "need" and I can't afford to try this and that so I'm always looking to buy the best stuff. You can't imagine how proud I am of the carry setup that I posted upthread, not only because it is comprised of gear that is generally accepted as being great, but because broke ol' me could finally afford to have it. My prized possessions right now are my aforementioned G19 and the Comp M4s that sits atop my AR just because I never thought I'd be able to own them.

ETA: I was over in the rimfire show-off thread and decided that a new life goal is to have the bank account that allows me to buy a NightForce scope to put on top of a .22 just for gits and shiggles. Kudos to whichever member it was that can do that.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Not just this forum, this entire hobby. The funny thing is that I used to be into cars when I was in school and got into guns because it was a cheaper thing to enjoy. Then I learned the meanings of the phrases "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once" so now I want to have the best gear I can get, which often just leaves me wanting. I will say it's made me a blood hound for good deals. Unfortunately, my current financial situation forces me to buy only the guns and gear that I "need" and I can't afford to try this and that so I'm always looking to buy the best stuff. You can't imagine how proud I am of the carry setup that I posted upthread, not only because it is comprised of gear that is generally accepted as being great, but because broke ol' me could finally afford to have it. My prized possessions right now are my aforementioned G19 and the Comp M4s that sits atop my AR just because I never thought I'd be able to own them.

ETA: I was over in the rimfire show-off thread and decided that a new life goal is to have the bank account that allows me to buy a NightForce scope to put on top of a .22 just for gits and shiggles. Kudos to whichever member it was that can do that.

That thread is more expensive than this one. Once you get a nice bolt action rimfire and a suppressor everything else tends to get neglected.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm going to try it again. I wont be carrying this or the other ones I have in the works until I become proficient with the rmr. I'm willing to put in the time, effort and ammo.
    I'll take any tips you experienced guys have to give.
    I owned an M&P core with an rmr several years ago and I just couldnt get used to the red dot.
    I like the rmr on the glock a lot better. Heres my contribution ,

L0fILyF.jpg

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm going to try it again. I wont be carrying this or the other ones I have in the works until I become proficient with the rmr. I'm willing to put in the time, effort and ammo.
    I'll take any tips you experienced guys have to give.
    I owned an M&P core with an rmr several years ago and I just couldnt get used to the red dot.
    I like the rmr on the glock a lot better. Heres my contribution ,

L0fILyF.jpg

That's an awful large... package... to carry around. To each his own, though. Some people can do it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's an awful large... package... to carry around. To each his own, though. Some people can do it.
    It's a glock 17. That's nothing. The mag wouldnt be the one I'd carry in it. I carry my 19x sometimes.
    Anyways I'll be carrying a 19 with an rmr (possibly) . This is just one I mostly just intended on being a fun project and for the range, but I'll deffinately carry it some as long as I get familiar with the rmr.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It's a glock 17. That's nothing. The mag wouldnt be the one I'd carry in it. I carry my 19x sometimes.
    Anyways I'll be carrying a 19 with an rmr (possibly) . This is just one I mostly just intended on being a fun project and for the range, but I'll deffinately carry it some as long as I get familiar with the rmr.

To add some context, I'm a very round individual. Even with appendix carry, something as big as my G30s can print at the grip more than I prefer. I really hated trying to hide my G21 when carrying at 4 o' clock.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I wouldn't go with anything that removes your iron sights and most factory offerings do that right now. I would claim the best optics ready pistol is the FN 509 tactical hands down, in my opinion and I have over 6 slides cut for an rmr.

If you have a favorite handgun your best best is to have the slide cut as shown below. Right now I carry the m&p 2.0 compact with RMR

Top Bottom