• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hi all. Got a question about a couple red dot sights I have and the type lens on them seem to be a bit different even though the two sights look almost identical.

I have a Crimson Trace CTS-1500 (per paperwork) with a stated 5MOA that came on my M&P. The other is a purchased CTS-1550 with a stated 3MOA. The lens on the 1550 appears to have a shimmer and the dot is a little crisper but the 1500 appears to be a clear lens and the 5MOA is a bit "starburst" look.

Sooooo, is the shimmer the reason the 3MOA is more crisp as opposed to the clear lens, or is a larger MOA causing this? I am very new to red dots. Thx.

(PS, moved this from incorrect forum section to this one.)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not familiar with that line of CT. I would set both to the same intensity and check them. The smaller dot will be a bit clearer from what I have heard.

Sounds like the lens has been coated, thus the shimmer you see.

I know that when I set the brightness up higher I have more chance of getting a starburst with my RDS.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Have never seen a Crimson Trace unit so it is hard to say for sure. For me given equal brightness settings, a larger dot is always clearer, it is one of the reasons I have went to using larger dots. Really it could be any number of things, mini RDS are really still in development.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not familiar with that line of CT. I would set both to the same intensity and check them. The smaller dot will be a bit clearer from what I have heard.

Sounds like the lens has been coated, thus the shimmer you see.

I know that when I set the brightness up higher I have more chance of getting a starburst with my RDS.
    Thanks. These are auto brightness/shut off. It makes sense the smaller might be crisper but 3 moa vs 5 moa shouldn't be dramatic, I wouldn't think. So maybe the coating has something to do with it, or the lack of it on the 5 moa.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have never seen a Crimson Trace unit so it is hard to say for sure. For me given equal brightness settings, a larger dot is always clearer, it is one of the reasons I have went to using larger dots. Really it could be any number of things, mini RDS are really still in development.
    These are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the main ones people use, so I am sure there are some quality issues that are comparitive as well. This is a $16X before discounts type red dot. I like the crisp 3 moa though, even though I will never do any shooting beyond 20 yards and a 3 vs 5 probably wouldn't make much difference either way.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Partial UPDATE: I reached out to CT with info (serial numbers/mfg. dates) for all 3 sights and sent pictures too. Waiting to hear back from them on the 3 "issues"/questions I have about them. If I get a solid answer I'll report back. Regards.

Top Bottom