• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I had noticed that some people put red dot's on glock setups. Is it just another toy, or do some people legitimately use them for target practice?

I have a red dot on my 10/22, but I used it for rabit hunting and squirrel hunting in low light situations on "the homestead".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Have a red dot on my MkIII, but haven't tried it yet. Red dot on the M4, which is good. Laser on the XDm40 and the PT709. Otherwise, scopes or irons.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Mine has proven itself in half a dozen pistol competitions so far this year, running speeds faster than I can with the irons. Works very well and is capable of excellent accuracy.

glockcarver.jpg

I also run one on my Ruger Mk1...

rugermk1.jpg

Last edited:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Like Detonics was getting at, red dots on pistols are fantastic for target shooting. Target acquisition is just so much faster than with iron sights. Granted, I don't know that they serve much of a purpose on a handgun otherwise, but they are great for targets.

I have met a few people who use them because of failing eye sight, as well.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would happily use one on a carry gun if I could have confidence in the battery. I have seriously been considering a Trijicon Dual Power RMR mounted on a Glock 19 for daily carry. All the reasons it works so well for competitions, especially speed competitions would make it work great for carry.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Like Detonics was getting at, red dots on pistols are fantastic for target shooting. Target acquisition is just so much faster than with iron sights. Granted, I don't know that they serve much of a purpose on a handgun otherwise, but they are great for targets.

I have met a few people who use them because of failing eye sight, as well.

Well, I carry mine daily, and know quite a few other people who do as well. They are fast and accurate. Given the proper sight and install, they can be perfect for daily carry.

Red Dot Sights on Pistols - Why?

The above link may answer some of the op's questions.

Top Bottom