• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    So I bought a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight after seeing a lot of positive reviews. When I got it, the 'red dot' doesn't look like a dot at all. Instead of a round dot, I'm seeing a jagged shape that looks like a glowing red filament of a clear light bulb. I've not used a red-dot site before, but I assume I should actually be seeing an actual round dot...correct? Thanks

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have an aimpoint and see the same thing. Apparently it has something to do with some people's eyes and not the optic itself. At least that is what aimpoint says. May be the same with Bushnell.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is from the aimpoint faq.

The dot in my Aimpoint sight doesn't look round. Is it defective?

If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:
    Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)
    While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.
    If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.
    If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Interesting. Learn something new on INGO regularly. I just bought an Aimpoint Pro and noticed this, but it seemed to go away as I cranked the power down

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    In addition to the comments regarding the power settings - some of you might also notice a big difference when looking at the dot outside in the daylight rather than under the incandescent lights of your living room.

I did.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    here's a quick test to see if it follows your astigmatism, hold the site out where it needs to be then turn it 90 deg gansta style and see if it looks the same or if the jumble moved 90 deg with the movement

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Interesting. Learn something new on INGO regularly. I just bought an Aimpoint Pro and noticed this, but it seemed to go away as I cranked the power down

^^ this^^
    turn it down, but it can ALSO be your eyes.
    I've noticed this on Bushnells, Tru-glos, and other budget friendly red-dots. Seems that it happens with the higher-end units as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well here's some options...turning the brightness down to a lower setting helps, or after performing above tests it is in fact a faulty RDS that Bushnell has offered to replace, or his eyes are just bad...?

Oh, you meant an update from the OP. My mistake, I thought you were talking about an RDS update and was like,:scratch:

Top Bottom