• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm looking for a red dot to put on my next rifle. It can't be anything in a tube. I was looking at the Burris Fastfire and the C-More sites.

Which is more rugged? I'd like to be able to drop it and now worry. This will probibly end up on a .223 rifle.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If youw ant something you can drop on the ground and not worry about (thanks to a no questions asked lifetime warranty) a Vortex Strikefire is going to be a good choice and at $149 delivered, will be even cheaper than the fastfire... unfortunately, it's in a tube.

If you want to try one out, let me know.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'd love to try it out. When are you going shooting next?

I'd really like soemthing without a tube so I can mount it canted near the muzzle. If I'm going for a tube I'll end up with an aimpoint micro T-1.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Part of the reasons Aimpoints are so rugged is in fact due to its tube shape.

What's so bad about canting an Aimpoint?

P9140946.JPG

PB062113.JPG

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Of the small "tubeless" type sights, the Trijicon RMR is going to be the most rugged option, hands down. Of course, it's also among the most expensive, perhaps for that reason.

Personally, I don't care for the tubeless sights, especially the ones with auto-regulating brightness. *I* want to decide how bright the dot needs to be, thanks; don't need the sight to do my thinking for me (I had a Tasco Optima back in the day, so I speak from experience). On some sights of this type, there's also the potential for water or dirt/debris to occlude the laser emitter window. If that happens, it renders the sight unusable, and can be a PITA to clean out. I haven't spent much time with an RMR, so don't know if that's a possibility with that particular model.

Personally, I'd opt for an Aimpoint Micro (or if on a budget, a Primary Arms or FM micro dot) for the application you mentioned.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The RMR is available with fiber/tritium instead of the diode, if you want. I have considered one for my 12-gauge but it would probably be overtacticalkill for my purposes. . .

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Part of the reasons Aimpoints are so rugged is in fact due to its tube shape.

What's so bad about canting an Aimpoint?

P9140946.JPG

PB062113.JPG

I didn't know you could. Very nice!!!

Of the small "tubeless" type sights, the Trijicon RMR is going to be the most rugged option, hands down. Of course, it's also among the most expensive, perhaps for that reason.

Personally, I don't care for the tubeless sights, especially the ones with auto-regulating brightness. *I* want to decide how bright the dot needs to be, thanks; don't need the sight to do my thinking for me (I had a Tasco Optima back in the day, so I speak from experience). On some sights of this type, there's also the potential for water or dirt/debris to occlude the laser emitter window. If that happens, it renders the sight unusable, and can be a PITA to clean out. I haven't spent much time with an RMR, so don't know if that's a possibility with that particular model.

Personally, I'd opt for an Aimpoint Micro (or if on a budget, a Primary Arms or FM micro dot) for the application you mentioned.

I'm not really on a budget here, it'll just take more time the more expensive it is. I didn't even think of debris getting into the laser emitter window. Guess that shows my total ignorance to this subject.

I think my mind has been changed. Aimpoint micro is what it'll be.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm looking for a red dot to put on my next rifle. It can't be anything in a tube. I was looking at the Burris Fastfire and the C-More sites.

Which is more rugged? I'd like to be able to drop it and now worry. This will probibly end up on a .223 rifle.

I've got a burris fast fire on my 44 mag bolt gun ruger 77/44, its rough and ready, it has taken hunting season and fast on target

I've seen the fastfire mounted to pistol slides and last for several years so far, If it can live on a 45 slide it should live anywhere

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thanks X10.

How about recticles? I know there are many options for the 1-4 scopes out there. NF really didn't have much except their FC-2 on the 1-4 optic.

Any other options out there?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    EoTech larger reticle IMO better for use with both eyes open. Point and shoot. The same argument can be had for the Aimpoint. Truth is, your're not gonna pop zombies at 500 yds with either one. The aimpoint battery life is faaaaar superior. but my eotech takes AA's your versatility may vary.

Top Bottom