• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is this one the 2" snubbie version? If so, it would not be for me, and I like the big boomers.

I have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. It has a full lug under an 8-3/8" ported barrel.
    At arms length, when the trigger breaks on that thing I can feel the concussion on my face.
    Leaves and dust will jump up off the ground just ahead of the muzzle.

YMMV, but 8-3/8" is short enough for me in that caliber.
    Then again, I'm not too worried about grizzlies, or polar bears when I leave home.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I really wonder about the moon clip conversion. I am a member of the Illinois based group Gunssavelife.com, the people that put up the "Burma Shave" pro gun signs across Illinois. At a recent meeting the main speaker was the owner of "T. K. Custom" that do the moon clip conversions for most calibers of S&W revolvers. When asked about Ruger revolvers they don't do them because the material in the cylinders is too hard to machine.
    That is not to say another company cannot do the conversion but I still wouldn't do it. After the conversion when shooting a 454 Casull there will be a small unsupported area of the case. Not much but a 454Casull can generate a chamber pressure of up to 60,000 psi. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and love shooting it and am still amazed by the power. Jim.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's an interesting cartridge but my SRH sees more hot 45lc than anything. Lyman's 452651 on top of a generous amount of slow powder works best for me and I would imagine the same bullet with a faster burning powder could give you good numbers from the Alaskan with less concussion.:)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have the .44 mag version of the Alaskan and love it. Will buy the 454 before long too. It is an awesome platform and a whole lotta power in a package I have often carrie CONCEALED so I ve the snubbie. I also have larger or longer barreled Boomers which are a lot of fun but they are for other reasons. The Alaskan is a nice, carry gun. It was made by Ruger to be caried easily for people who need this kind of power to prevent being eaten by bears. :)

I say get it and enjoy it.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I really wonder about the moon clip conversion. I am a member of the Illinois based group Gunssavelife.com, the people that put up the "Burma Shave" pro gun signs across Illinois. At a recent meeting the main speaker was the owner of "T. K. Custom" that do the moon clip conversions for most calibers of S&W revolvers. When asked about Ruger revolvers they don't do them because the material in the cylinders is too hard to machine.
    That is not to say another company cannot do the conversion but I still wouldn't do it. After the conversion when shooting a 454 Casull there will be a small unsupported area of the case. Not much but a 454Casull can generate a chamber pressure of up to 60,000 psi. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and love shooting it and am still amazed by the power. Jim.

??????
    Tom at TK does do moon conversions on Ruger revolvers.
    Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

If the cylinders were to HARD to machine how does Ruger make them? Maybe tougher material than other revolver cylinders but no way they are to hard to machine.

Technically a moon clip gun supports the case the same as a non moon clip gun. It doesn't leave any more of the case unsupported than before the moon clip conversion.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Do any of u know if that is the same moon clip as the smith and wesson governor. I have the governor now and would like to use just one type of clip. Might get confusing having a bunch of different tupes of clips together.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Different clips.
    S&W clips are . 040 thick for . 45 ACP
    The conversion on the Ruger uses . 025 thick clips.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have the .44 mag version and love it, although a lot of the blast does seem to hit you in the face. After about a dozen rounds I usually feel like my sinuses are getting clogged. I have a Bisley hunter in 44 mag as well, and overall, the Alaskan is more comfortable to shoot, and is always an attention getter at the range.

Firepower50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    NW Indiana
    If you buy the Alaskan, look up Bowen firearms. They make an awesome lanyard ring that is handmade by Hamilton himself and works with the factory hogue grips. It really completes the look

Top Bottom