• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Sitting on back porch enjoying Tuedays spring weather when 2 Redtail Hawks crashed into battle in mid air, came crashing to the ground in a bean field by the house and the fight lasted over 1/2 hour, the hawk on top dominated the whole time finally killing his opponent, another hawk circled above, I am guessing it was the female? I was able to get some pics from about 8 feet away, here are a few!

2n063dh.jpg

sdiedc.jpg

fmt2m8.jpg

oldschoolevo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    ANDERSON
    that is crazy you will probly never see that again. and to get within 8 feet of them is cool.ive never seen them fight to the death before, im glade you got some pic. the one still in the air, she must really have some good stufffff

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    a few neighbors gathered and took pics also, I wish I would have ran back in for the video camera! My pics do not do it justice, the one on bottom was bleeding bad and got picked apart pretty good! Note in the pics they have a claw locked together during the fight!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Probably a territory dispute that got out of hand. I've heard of instances where the loser was seriously wounded and later found dead, but never one that was ended with lethal force right then and there.

thumbnail.aspx

SteveL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    I too am surprised to hear this, I was not aware they fought to the death, I'm assuming this incident was a rare occurrence. I used to catch sparrow hawks and red tails back in my early twenties, just to see them up close, I would release them after looking for ID tags or other signs of human intervention. They are very impressive up close, and somewhat intimidating too...smiles.

Steve L

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    Battle on!

We have Redtail battles in our back yard too! This big ole male is very protective of his mate and nest.

The kids and I were out in the backyard last week and saw the male, and what I assumed was another male battle in the woods. It was crazy, cause they'd fight mid-air for a minute or two, then purch back on a limb for a breather, then go at it again... This went on for a good 15 to 20 minutes:rockwoot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    They must have had the victory celebration meal at my place this morning. Some fur, flesh and blood on my truck's passenger side window tells me it was squirrel for breakfast.

Top Bottom