• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Ok so my daughters are getting bored with the bolt action .22 I got for them. The like shooting my AR but there little shoulders can't take the recoil for more that a few shots. I started looking into ways to reduce this for them besides the obvious ( recoil pad, towel on the shoulder etc ) but I am not too familiar with muzzle breaks or buffers. I found some buffers that have good reviews on spikes.com but there are 3 different weights am I to assume that a heavier weight = less recoil? What about breaks what should I look for there? Any help from seasoned AR owners would be appreciated.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This may seem to easy but add weight to the rifle. If it's an A2 put bullets in the stock trap. A bipod will also help. Yes, I know the rifle will be heavier but it's a trade off. Might also invest in a Past recoil shield or similar.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    This may seem to easy but add weight to the rifle. If it's an A2 put bullets in the stock trap. A bipod will also help. Yes, I know the rifle will be heavier but it's a trade off. Might also invest in a Past recoil shield or similar.[/QUOTE
    At this point the weight of the rifle is not an issue they can't maintain holding it in the air anyway. They use a bi-pod now.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Do you handload? If so, you can load some light loads with trailboss powder. They won't cycle the action but have very little recoil. Muzzle brakes can be very helpful at reducing recoil but are normally much louder and give a lot of blast. For a young shooter, the trade off may not be worth it. Best thing to do is get a silencer. Cuts noise, muzzle blast, and recoil! C'mon; do it for the kids!!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Oddly enough Their persistence about the gun is not the looks of it rather the novelty of shooting something "bigger". They are really starting to understand the size/power difference between calibers.

Then think about picking a different gun all together. Maybe a 243 or 270 bolt action with a nice butt pad on it? Also gives a great excuse for another gun!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd get a different rifle specifically for them. Stock fit is crucial to felt recoil. Noise and muzzle blast add to percieved recoil too, so make sure they have good ear protection.
    1. stock that fits
    2. low recoil caliber, handloading helps with this (My 7 yr. old son's "big" rifle is a .44 magnum handi rifle with pallet wood laminated stock cut down (heavy!) I download his hunting rounds to .44 spl +P velocities, and around 6-10 rds. is about all I'll let him shoot at one time.)
    3. Good recoil pad (I like limbsavers)
    4. Gun weight (the more the better as far as recoil)

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I wouldn't change the buffer if your gun is running reliably.

My only other suggestion would be stance. Make sure they are leaning into the weapon and pulling it into their shoulder, this can eliminate that "kick" I see a lot of new female shooters get.

Top Bottom