• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Anybody here have a custom by Reeder? Worth the cost for you? I stumbled across their Double Duece online and I really like the idea. I have an older new model single-six that would be a good candidate for the work and I wouldn't miss it much while it is gone. Attached is a pic from Reeder's website of the Double Duece.

Attachments

• double_deuce.jpg
      double_deuce.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 18

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Reeder's shop does excellent work, albeit at a very high price. It really depends on what your objectives are and what caliber.

Elephant guns: Reeder.

Standard calibers .357 to 45 Colt: any reputable shop or cowboy action gunsmith.

The thing I remember about Reeder is that his cylinder gaps were between .002" and .003", which is impractical for action competitions but might be appropriate for more precise environments. I'm also not a fan of the squareback trigger guard. It can be painful in big calibers.

Last edited:

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    The Reeder Double Duece is a .22mag on a single six frame so probably not any issue with the trigger guard squared off. His website says $1695.00 on my base gun which I thought seemed reasonable, but i haven't priced similar elsewhere. Plus, i really like the look!

Is there anybody local who could do similar work?

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Ok...I know I asked about Reeder Custom Guns, but is there anybody locally who can do this type of work? Looking at doing a Sheriff Model style revolver on an older single six. 2.75" or so barrel. I like the look of the Heritage Barkeep as a start but think done well on a single six platform would be something cool!

Specifically:
    1. shorten barrel and reattach front sight (something from Fermin Garza) remove the manufacturer's info from the barrel
    2. flattop the cylinder frame top strap and install a new rear sight (DL Sports has one for Ruger single actions.)
    3. shape the grip frame to a slightly softer bottom edge
    4. maybe the hardest...remove the portion of the frame casting where the ejector rod housing inserts and shape to match the other side.
    5. refinish, maybe a rust blue process or even cerakote.

Any thoughts before I reach out to the big name custom guys?

Thank!

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Many moons ago Reeder kindly offered to make 20 custom handguns for the sixgunner.com crowd.
    I was lucky enough to be included...dual cylinder 45 Colt / 45 ACP
    Action job, trigger work, barrel cut to 4", rounded frame and grips
    Engraved 7 of 20....my initials, sixgunner on barrel...Reeder's moniker on the bottom f the frame...it's been a outstanding revolver for me...Pictures not the best but you get the idea IMG_20220112_111723.jpg IMG_20220112_111735.jpg IMG_20220112_111758.jpg IMG_20220112_111748.jpg

Last edited:

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Nice Magyars! That is really the look I am going for, just less the ejector rod...no real reason, the ejector rod-less Colt SAA's have always just looked cool to me. The single six platform, 'reduced' with 22lr/22mag and better fixed sights would be a neat update on the theme.

Top Bottom