• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I was tired of looking at the dull and scratched aluminum magazines on my all black AR. After doing some research on the web I was not too happy with the different paints they were using. So I stopped into Lowes and Auto Zone. Lowes was a little cheaper on the truck bed coating. Lowes has rust-oleum auto zone has dupli-color. I figured this stuff is tough and wont scratch off, plus the texture would make switching mags or grabbing with gloves much easier. I put two coats on 7 mags and am very happy with the results, there is no change in the function of the mag! This could be done on any mag and the can did two coats on 7 of mine and there is still more in can (guess I have to buy more!) I would post pictures but you cannot see the texture in any of the pictures I took, so just use your imagination and do a search for black magazines.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I got some ceramic based high temp header paint. Painted a few really ugly AR mags and baked them in the oven for a few hours, per what it said on the spray can. Came out really good too.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Did you paint the entire body? If so, I'm EXTREMELY surprised the dimensions weren't changed enough to not let the mags drop free. That liner stuff is thick and uneven, and in 2 coats...

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I did paint the entire body, I was a little nervous, but yes they drop out of the M&P15 without a problem. I was also shocked at how hard it was to remove the floor plates out of those magazines! Maybe I'm just a whimp but I had to mask several of them off because I could not get the floor plates off! I will work on the pictures, got to set up an account.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    here they are!
    40 rnds on the outside 30 on the inside
    100_1110.jpg

you can kinda see the texture
    100_1117.jpg

2 coats and it fits
    100_1113.jpg

but this one doesnt :dunno:
    100_1119.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    you didnt spray the insides at all did you? i could imagine textured paint like that would create some extra friction on the follower and possibly bind it up.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    You are correct, I was worried about about getting any paint on the inside. So I spent a good amount of time masking the magazines off, no different then painting a car/house/wall. I did not even think about the friction, I was more worried that with how hard everything becomes when that stuff is sprayed on the the spring might not compress. Have you ever seen the bed coating applied to a pop can? You can stomp on it and it wont crush, its some tuff stuff, and doesn't really come off your fingers either.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    My advice would be to tape off where the mag goes into the magwell and do not coat that part. This is esp. important if you have multiple lowers or plan on adding more lowers.

One could refinish the top of the mag with reg. paint first, then scuff up the bottom and then line-x it.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I got to use them today! Everyone that held them loved them and asked where I got the idea. They feed fine and released without a problem and I liked the added grip when switching them quickly.

Top Bottom